Israel’s security cabinet announced the adoption of several counter-terrorism measures following the deadly attack in the capital.
The security cabinet convened on Sunday night following the deadly attack in the capital in which four IDF soldiers were murdered and 15 others wounded, and decided on several counter-terrorism measures.
They decided that the home of Fadi al-Qanbar, 28, the terrorist who rammed his truck into a crowd of soldiers, will be demolished within weeks, pending the court’s authorization.The cabinet also ordered extra roadblocks and police presence at the eastern Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabel Mukaber, where the terrorist resided. The neighborhood is currently under partial siege.
The cabinet also ordered that the terrorist’s body not be returned to the family for burial.
“This is a particularly heinous, painful and serious crime that could lead to copycats,” Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan stated. “We will not allow the vile terrorist and his family to have a funeral that would grant him the respect that would encourage other attackers.”
Reports emerged that Arabs present at the site of the attack celebrated the murder and maiming of Israelis. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered an investigation and the arrest of offenders.
Earlier in the day, Netanyahu said the terrorist was an Islamic State (ISIS) sympathizer. The cabinet ordered that social media users who express support for the terror group be arrested and put in administrative detention.
Minister of Construction Yoav Galant, a member of the security cabinet, stressed the need for harsh measures to be taken against the terrorist’s family, recommending they be deported, even if they are Israeli citizens, and that Israeli citizenship be stripped from anyone connected with the attack.
“There must be a price,” he stated on IDF Radio, adding, however, that Israel “must act from the head, not from the gut, and therefore we must think with level-headedness, view the issues in a unified and stately manner, even though the blood boils.”
Speaking on Monday morning, Deputy Commander of the Jerusalem district Amichai Eshed said that nine people have been arrested in connection with the attack, including five family members.
By: Aryeh Savir, World Israel News