“We are trying to prevent the smuggling of advanced weapons, military equipment and weapons of mass destruction from Syria to Hezbollah,” says Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman.
Israel’s Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman acknowledged in a meeting with European Union ambassadors on Wednesday that Israel has previously targeted sites in Syria in order to thwart the transfer of advanced weaponry and weapons of mass destruction to the Hezbollah terrorist group.
“We are working, first and foremost, to defend the safety of our citizens and to protect our sovereignty,” said Liberman. “We are trying to prevent the smuggling of advanced weapons, military equipment and weapons of mass destruction from Syria to Hezbollah.”
The defense minister made his remarks after SANA (Syrian Arab News Agency) and Hezbollah’s Al-Mayadeen channel reported on alleged Israeli strikes early this morning, west of Damascus nearby al-Mezzeh Airport.
Notably, Liberman maintained Israel’s policy of ambiguity regarding alleged Israeli strikes in Syria as he avoided specifying when Israel had taken action. However, Israeli officials made it clear that Israel will not allow Hezbollah to get its hands on advanced weaponry and WMDs.
“We will not agree to the supply of advanced weaponry to Hezbollah from Syria and Lebanon,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in April of this year.
This was the second time in two weeks that Israel allegedly carried out operations against targets in Syria. Last week, an arms cache in a Syrian army post as well as a Hezbollah convoy were struck, reportedly resulting in no injuries.
By: Jonathan Benedek, World Israel News