Source-WIN

Hamas announces transition readiness as Rafah crossing reopens

Developments on the ground also advanced Monday with the reopening of the Rafah Border Crossing to limited pedestrian traffic.

By World Israel News Staff

Hamas announced on Monday that it has completed the procedures for transferring governing authority in Gaza to a newly formed technocratic government, as international efforts move toward a second phase of the postwar framework for the enclave.

The statement comes amid a series of diplomatic and operational steps tied to the evolving ceasefire. In January, President Trump formally launched the U.S.-led Board of Peace at a signing ceremony during the World Economic Forum in Davos, presenting it as a new mechanism to manage postwar stabilization in Gaza and potentially expand to other conflict zones.

The initiative outlines a phased transition toward civilian governance, reconstruction, and economic recovery, including the creation of a 15-member Palestinian technocratic committee led by Ali Shaath, a former deputy minister for planning.

Developments on the ground also advanced Monday with the reopening of the Rafah Border Crossing to limited pedestrian traffic, marking the first such opening since the war began.

The move was approved by Israel’s political leadership under the ceasefire framework and followed the recovery last week of the remains of the final Israeli hostage, Master Sgt. Ran Gvili, clearing the final political obstacle.

Under the arrangement, the crossing will operate in both directions for people only, with daily quotas, no vehicle traffic, and mandatory prior security clearance.

Despite Hamas’s announcement of a handover to technocrats, the central issue of disarmament remains unresolved and deeply contested.

Last week, Trump said he believes Hamas will give up its weapons as the ceasefire enters its second phase. His Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, echoed that assessment, telling the president the process was already underway.

“We’ve got the terrorists out of there, and they’re going to demilitarize. They will, because they have no choice,” Witkoff said. “They’re going to give it up. They’re going to give up the AK-47s.”

Regional analysts and Israeli officials remain openly skeptical, noting that Hamas has repeatedly rejected disarmament in the past and warning that the group may seek to preserve its military capabilities even as it signals a willingness to step back from formal governance.

Share
Published by
Yoel Stavsky
Tags: Ali Shaath Board of Peace Gaza ceasefire phase 2

Recent Posts

  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

12 minutes ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

2 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

2 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

2 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: ‘We prepared 5,000 graves for US invaders,’ says Iranian cemetery official

Tehran public cemetery director Mohammad-Javad Tajik stated that the regime dug 5,000 graves in the…

3 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

No green light granted to entry of int’l force into Gaza, Israel says

The Trump administration notified Congress last month that it would provide more than $206 million…

3 hours ago