Arab-Israeli Conflict

Hamas hardens stance with US envoys

Senior IDF officers warned that the terrorist group is in the process of rebuilding in Gaza.

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

Aryeh Lightstone, an adviser to envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s Peace Council, has met in recent months with Hamas leader in the Gaza Strip, Khalil al-Hayya as part of negotiations aimed at disarming Hamas, Kan 11 reported Monday.

The meetings were held as part of a series of negotiations organized by Peace Council Director General Nikolai Mladenov.

Israeli sources said the discussions, which were intended to focus on disarming the terrorist group, have become increasingly difficult as Hamas has adopted a tougher position than in previous rounds of talks.

Responding to the report, a Peace Council source told Kan 11 that “it is well known that in recent months, the Peace Council and its mediators have held several rounds of negotiations with the aim of agreeing on a roadmap for disarmament in Gaza.”

“We are continuing diplomatic efforts to secure this goal while finalizing the formulation of steps related to promoting governance, the rule of law, security, reconstruction and economic development in Gaza,” the source continued.

The negotiations are taking place as Israeli military officials have warned that Hamas is rebuilding its military capabilities rather than disarming.

Earlier this week, Kan News reported that senior officers in the IDF Military Intelligence Directorate and Southern Command warned Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir that Hamas’ military wing is preparing for another round of fighting.

According to the report, Hamas is manufacturing hundreds of explosive devices and anti-tank missiles each month, recruiting fighters between the ages of 18 and 22, resuming training for its Nukhba force operatives, attempting to smuggle drones and communications equipment from the Sinai Peninsula, and rebuilding underground infrastructure across the Gaza Strip.

The officers also told Zamir, “Hamas is strong on the ground, no one is threatening it, and the organization is not prepared to give up control of Gaza.”

Kan News also reported that the IDF has informed American officials of its position that fighting should resume. Washington, however, opposes a return to combat and instead seeks to preserve the current situation created by the agreement while continuing to advance President Trump’s vision and the Peace Council.

Share
Published by
Miriam Metzinger
Tags: Board of Peace Hamas Hamas disarmament Khalil Al-Hayya

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

US rips Israel for alleged strike on Syrian airbase

President Trump's envoy to Syria accuses Israel of bombing Syrian airbase, denouncing the attack as…

3 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF carried out secret withdrawal from parts of Gaza – report

Despite claims by Israeli leaders to the contrary, the IDF has reportedly withdrawn from large…

5 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Kushner warns Hamas: US will allow Israel to ‘finish the job’ if disarmament fails

Jared Kushner says progress in Gaza disarmament could start in as little as one to…

6 hours ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s oil exports down to ‘zero barrels,’ says US Energy Secretary

Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…

6 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside an Israeli student’s fight against campus antisemitism

Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…

7 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Trump: Israel should stop bombing Gaza

Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…

7 hours ago