Arab-Israeli Conflict

Hamas: We turned down an Israeli prisoner-exchange offer

Israel made an offer to facilitate the return of the bodies of two soldiers killed during Israel’s 2014 war with Hamas and two civilians who crossed into Gaza, but Hamas has rejected the offer.

Hamas claimed Wednesday that it had again turned down an Israeli offer for a prisoner swap in exchange for two Israeli citizens and the remains of two IDF soldiers held by Hamas.

According to a report by Al-Jezeera, Hamas said they turned down the Israeli offer because it did not meet even their minimal demands.

Earlier this week, a Hamas source was quoted as saying that the terror group rejected an Israeli proposal to swap one of the Israelis held in Gaza for a Hamas prisoner, a brother of a senior Hamas official jailed in Israel.

Hamas is reportedly seeking a comprehensive deal and not a partial exchange. Such a comprehensive release of prisoners would play well for their propaganda purposes.

Avra Mangisto and Hisham Al-Sayed are two Israeli civilians believed to be held by Hamas after entering the Strip on their own.

In addition, the remains of Hadar Goldin and Oron Shaul, two IDF soldiers killed in Operation Protective Edge in the summer of 2014, are believed to be held by the terror group.

Goldin was abducted by Hamas and killed during a battle with Hamas terrorists in Shajaiya. Two other IDF soldiers also died in the incident

Shaul died in battle together with another six Golani soldiers in Shajaiya when their armored personnel carrier was hit by an anti-tank rocket. His body was never recovered and is assumed to be held by Hamas.

Hamas has claimed in the past that Israel has advanced offers for a prisoner swap, which they have turned down.

In September, the prime minister’s coordinator for POWs and MIAs, Colonel (RES.) Lior Lotan, told the Herzliya Conference that Israel made two parallel offers through several channels to facilitate the return of the soldiers’ bodies and the civilians, but Hamas rejected both.

Zahava Shaul, mother of Oron Shaul, said in response to the report of that she expects Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Israel’s government to do their utmost to bring her son home.

The Goldin family also stated that it was unsatisfied with the government’s efforts to return their son’s remains for burial in Israel.

By: Aryeh Savir, World Israel News

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Gaza Goldin Hamas Oron Shaul protective edge

Recent Posts

  • World News

Tucker Carlson claims Israel pushed him to falsely accuse Hunter Biden of keeping child porn on laptop

Tucker Carlson says Israel to blame for his false reporting on about Hunter Biden's now…

11 minutes ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Britain threatens Israel with new sanctions over 1,234-home Jerusalem-area project

Britain is threatening new sanctions against Israel after Jerusalem issued a tender for 1,234 homes…

45 minutes ago
  • Middle East

‘Don’t’ – Netanyahu warned Turkey not to deploy forces to Syria

Israel will not tolerate Turkish military presence in Syria, says Prime Minister Netanyahu, adding that…

56 minutes ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Trump puts $206 million behind Gaza force to disarm Hamas — but Israel won’t leave until the guns are gone

President Donald Trump is putting more than $206 million behind an international force for Gaza,…

57 minutes ago
  • Middle East

Trump launches ‘economic D-Day’ against Iran

President Trump announces 'most crushing economic operation ever,' threatens countries providing lifelines to the regime.

2 hours ago
  • World News

UAE suspends all trade and financial transactions with Iran After missile attacks

The UAE action also comes as negotiations between Washington and Tehran have again stalled over…

8 hours ago