Arab-Israeli Conflict

Hezbollah supporters protest Lebanon-Israel framework agreement in Beirut

Hezbollah leadership declared the agreement “null and void.”

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

Hundreds of Hezbollah supporters staged demonstrations across Beirut from late Friday into Saturday to protest a framework agreement involving Lebanon, Israel and the United States, while the group’s leadership rejected the accord and called it invalid.

Motorcyclists and moped riders traveled through several parts of the Lebanese capital, including central Beirut, the area surrounding parliament and the airport road, within hours of the announcement of the agreement.

Videos circulated by local media and on social media showed large convoys moving through Beirut’s southern suburb of Dahieh, an area that sustained extensive damage in Israeli airstrikes.

Some demonstrators assembled near government buildings and blocked a nearby main road.

Additional footage showed protesters setting tires ablaze on the airport road before Lebanese soldiers dispersed the crowd and reopened the route, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported.

The Lebanese army established temporary checkpoints in several areas of Beirut as the demonstrations continued.

Posters displayed along the road to Beirut’s airport were also set on fire. The signs had been changed last week from reading “Thank you Iran” to “Lebanon first.”

Hezbollah leadership declared the agreement “null and void.”

Speaking Saturday, Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem called the U.S.-brokered agreement a “humiliation” that undermined Lebanese sovereignty.

He declared it should instead be replaced by the memorandum of understanding currently under negotiation, which includes a ceasefire in Lebanon as part of the broader agreement with Iran. Israel has objected to that approach.

Qassem also said linking an Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon to Hezbollah’s disarmament crossed “red lines.”

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, a Hezbollah ally, criticized the agreement, calling it an “incitement to civil war.”

Hezbollah’s Lawyers’ Association also challenged the accord, arguing it conflicts with Lebanon’s constitution because it states that Israel and Lebanon “affirm the right of each state to exist in peace.”

The group further argued that Lebanon’s constitution “considers Zionism to be a challenge to human dignity” and declares “that it is necessary to work to eliminate it.”

Share
Published by
Miriam Metzinger
Tags: demonstrations Hezbollah Lebanon ceasefire

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

US rips Israel for alleged strike on Syrian airbase

President Trump's envoy to Syria accuses Israel of bombing Syrian airbase, denouncing the attack as…

33 minutes ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF carried out secret withdrawal from parts of Gaza – report

Despite claims by Israeli leaders to the contrary, the IDF has reportedly withdrawn from large…

2 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Kushner warns Hamas: US will allow Israel to ‘finish the job’ if disarmament fails

Jared Kushner says progress in Gaza disarmament could start in as little as one to…

3 hours ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s oil exports down to ‘zero barrels,’ says US Energy Secretary

Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside an Israeli student’s fight against campus antisemitism

Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…

4 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Trump: Israel should stop bombing Gaza

Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…

4 hours ago