Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, right, listens to commander of the Revolutionary Guard's ground force Gen. Mohammad Pakpour in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iran’s president denies President Trump’s claims that Iranian nuclear program was obliterated, but admits it suffered major damage in US, Israeli airstrikes.
By David Rosenberg, World Israel News
Iran is ready to carry out new ballistic missile strikes on Israel, the Islamic republic’s president warned on Tuesday, as Iran blames Israel for a series of explosions across the country.
On Tuesday night, Al Jazeera published an interview with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, who rejected President Donald Trump’s claims that airstrikes last month on Iranian nuclear sites had “obliterated” the country’s atomic program.
“Our nuclear capabilities are with our scientists, not in facilities,” Pezeshkian said.
“The claim that our nuclear program was obliterated is an illusion.”
Echoing claims by Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Monday that Iran reserves the right to enrich uranium, Pezeshkian said his country would reconstitute its atomic program, which he claimed is peaceful and in keeping with international law.
Turning to the Islamic republic’s 12-day war last month with Israel, Pezeshkian claimed that Israel has “concealed” the extent of the damage caused by Iranian ballistic missile strikes.
Iran “struck deep” in Israel, the president claimed, causing major losses.
Pezeshkian warned that while Iran is not actively seeking a new armed conflict with Israel, his country is prepared to strike Israel “deeply.”
“Tehran is ready for any action by Israel, which sought to change Iran — but failed. Iranian forces are ready to strike again, but Tehran does not want war.”
Israel’s 12-day air campaign was not merely aimed against Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs, the president claimed, but was also intended to “dismantle” Iran, to “eliminate it through chaos” and to “strike at the regime.”
Iran believes the ceasefire which ended the war is “not final,” Pezeshkian added, hinting at additional rounds of fighting.
Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'
Bowie posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'
The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…
After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…
Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…
Danon has heard other diplomats express appreciation for Israel’s 'boldness to stand up,' in particular…