World News

Iran will consider direct nuclear talks with US

“The U.S. side is sending messages in different ways that it seeks a level of direct talks with Iran,” Iran’s top diplomat said.

By Zevi Pilzer, World Israel News

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Monday that Tehran will consider direct talks with the U.S. during the ongoing nuclear negotiations in Vienna, if that would help reach a “good agreement.”

“Iran is not currently talking with the U.S. directly, but if during the negotiation process we get to a point that reaching a good agreement with solid guarantees requires a level of talks with the U.S., we will not ignore that in our work schedule,” he said.

The 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of action, or nuclear deal, reached during the Obama administration between Iran and the P5 (China, Russia, Great Britain, France and U.S.) plus Germany, included a relief in sanctions towards Iran.

However, three years later, when former president Donald Trump was in office, he unilaterally withdrew from the deal, calling it a “bad” one that endangered Israel.

Trump’s withdrawal brought back U.S. sanctions on Tehran, which has since been seeking a new agreement that would lift the sanctions and allow the Islamic regime to continue its enrichment of uranium.

With President Joe Biden in power, talks aimed at salvaging the deal resumed last year in Vienna but to no avail.

Previously, Iran stated that the U.S. must “change course” and return to the nuclear deal prior to any direct talks between the two countries.

“Our direct talks are with P4+1,” Amir-Abdollahian said, referring to Germany and permanent Security Council powers France, China, Great Britain and Russia.

“Meanwhile, the U.S. side is sending messages in different ways that it seeks a level of direct talks with Iran,” he added during a conference at the foreign ministry in Tehran.

The negotiations started in April and were put on a hold in June after Iran elected its new president, Ebrahim Raisi. They resumed in late November.

Share
Published by
Zevi Pilzer
Tags: Donald Trump Iran nuclear deal Iran sanctions JCPOA Joe Biden Obama Administration vienna talks

Recent Posts

  • World News

Iranian official: Claims of ongoing negotiations are ‘delusional’

The US-Iran MoU expired Monday as Tehran rejected reports of efforts to extend the agreement.

7 minutes ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Crying on Trump’s shoulder: Erdogan complains about Israel in call with US president

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Donald Trump to pursue diplomacy with Iran while using…

3 hours ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Kushner’s direct Hamas talks trigger alarm in Palestinian Authority

Palestinian Authority officials are increasingly alarmed after US envoy Jared Kushner met directly with senior…

3 hours ago
  • World News

Media ignores Palestine convoy stranded by Iraq, unconcerned since Israel not involved

The presence of an Israeli angle can determine whether the difficulties faced by activists become…

10 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Kushner says Iran not interested in a sensible deal

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner gave an update on ongoing negotiations with the Iranian regime, noting…

10 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Smotrich criticizes Kushner-Hamas talks, encourages continued assassinations of terror leaders

Smotrich has repeatedly advocated Israeli sovereignty over Gaza and the establishment of new Jewish settlements…

11 hours ago