Israel News

Jerusalem on high alert as 100,000 expected for Ramadan prayers

This Friday marks return to dramatically expanded access for Palestinian Muslims to Jerusalem and the Temple Mount.

By Lauren Marcus, World Israel News

Some 100,000 Muslims, comprised of both Israeli citizens and those from Palestinian Authority-controlled areas in Judea and Samaria, are expected to visit the Temple Mount for the first Friday prayer of the month-long Ramadan Islamic holiday, according to police estimates.

It will be the first time in two years that Muslim men over the age of 50 and boys under 12 will have unfettered access to the site, which was closed in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Permits for non-Israeli visitors were also required due to tensions just ahead of the 2021 Israel-Gaza clash Operation Guardian of the Walls.

Defense Minister Benny Gantz has eased restrictions on Palestinian entry to Israel as well as to the Temple Mount. Women of all ages may travel to the site without a permit, and widespread entry permits were given to Palestinians who have first-degree relatives in Israel.

The expected massive influx of visitors has caused Israel’s authorities to raise security preparedness to the highest possible level for Jerusalem.

“The central threat is that of hostile terrorist activity,” deputy police commissioner Sami Marciano told Israel Hayom. “We are preparing for scenarios involving a lone wolf terrorist, and vigilance is extremely high.”

Marciano said the police will focus on stopping and removing troublemakers early on, based on their experience last year.

Part of the strategy, he said, is to avoid engaging in extended battles with rioters, which creates negative publicity for the authorities and stirs up resentment among Arabs.

“We see the majority of the public wanting to celebrate, as opposed to a minority looking to confront the police,” Jerusalem District Commander Superintendent Doron Turgeman told Israel Hayom.

“We focus on those who are hurting the public, [those] who come to [harm] the holiday experience, and we take care of them via arrests, and more. We are prepared for any scenario and any threat.”

Share
Published by
Lauren Marcus
Tags: al-Aqsa mosque Arab riots Israel security Jerusalem violence Old City of Jerusalem Palestinian terror Ramadan Temple Mount

Recent Posts

  • Videos

WATCH: Trump threatens to bomb Oman ‘if they get in the way,’ advises Iran to surrender

Speaking to Fox News, President Trump called on Iran to raise the white flag of…

1 hour ago
  • World News

Challenging Vance, Trump declares denying Iran nukes ‘number one goal’

As memorandum of understanding with Iran nears end, President Trump rebuts recent comments by Vice…

1 hour ago
  • Israel News

Israeli gov’t fears bid to fly in expats en masse could tilt election in left’s favor

The ruling Likud party threatens legal action against organizers of initiative aimed at flying Israelis…

2 hours ago
  • Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

French Jew recounts harrowing antisemitic incident – ‘We feared we would be murdered’

The men eventually managed to escape to their hotel, with members of the crowd pursuing…

3 hours ago
  • Israel News

83 years later, Yad Vashem honors Dutch woman who saved Jewish baby during Holocaust

More than 28,000 people from 51 countries have been recognized as Righteous Among the Nations,…

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: NBA legend Amar’e Stoudemire reveals love for Israel, Torah in Hall of Fame speech

Newly inaugurated NBA Hall of Famer Amar'e Stoudemire opened up about his 20-year secret of…

3 hours ago