World News

Jimmy Carter: Media too tough on Trump

Who would have thought? Carter is defending Trump against media bias. 

US President Donald Trump received surprising support from an unexpected source in his ongoing battle with the mainstream media – former President Jimmy Carter conceded that the media is tougher on Trump than any other president in memory.

Carter, the liberal 93-year-old former president, told the New York Times, “I think the media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I’ve known about.”

As an example, he pointed out that the media feels “free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation.”

He also rejected claims made by the Clinton campaign and by the left that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential elections. “I don’t think there’s any evidence that what the Russians did changed enough votes, or any votes,” he said in the interview.

Carter also said he does not believe that Trump’s “America First” strategy is wrong or that it could damage international relations.

“Well, he might be escalating it, but I think that precedes Trump,” he told the Times. “The United States has been the dominant character in the whole world and now we’re not anymore. And we’re not going to be. Russia’s coming back and India and China are coming forward.”

Carter also offered to serve as an envoy to North Korea amid the escalating tensions between the dictatorship and several countries.

“I don’t know what they’ll do,” he said of Pyongyang. “Because they want to save their regime. And we greatly overestimate China’s influence on North Korea. Particularly to [North Korean leader] Kim Jong Un. He’s never, so far as I know, been to China.”

He called the North Korean dictator “unpredictable.”

By: World Israel News Staff

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Carter Media Bias North Korea

Recent Posts

  • Israel News

A first: Jews permitted to bring prayer books to Temple Mount

Bucking long standing restrictions by the Muslim Waqf, Jews visiting the Temple Mount allowed to…

42 minutes ago
  • World News

US-Iran Memorandum of Understanding set to officially expire

The US-Iran ceasefire framework is set to expire Monday with neither side signaling plans to…

53 minutes ago
  • World News

Why did Iranian army chief place bounty on US soldiers?

Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami called for Americans to be captured or killed for a…

1 hour ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Political survival on the line: Likud holds explosive primary ahead of national vote

Some 140,000 Likud members head to the polls Monday for a fiercely contested primary that…

2 hours ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

He knew the bombs were coming: IAF major arrested, accused of betting on secret Israeli strikes

An Israeli Air Force major has been arrested on suspicion of using sensitive military information…

2 hours ago
  • World News

Iran announces $30,000 reward for killing or capturing American soldiers

Hatami did not specify where or when Iranians were expected to encounter US military personnel…

11 hours ago