World News

Melbourne synagogue arsonist motivated by mental illness, judge rules

Around 20 worshippers were having a Friday night dinner inside the synagogue at the time of the attack.

By JNS

An Australian judge ruled on Monday that the man who set fire to a Melbourne synagogue while worshippers were inside was motivated by mental illness, not antisemitism.

The ruling follows a wave of antisemitic attacks that have roiled Australia since the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas-led attack on southern Israel, including the firebombings of synagogues and a Jewish day care center and attacks on Jewish-owned businesses and property in both Melbourne and Sydney.

Australian Magistrate Malcolm Thomas found that Angelo Loras, 35, who doused the front door of the East Melbourne Synagogue with flammable liquid and ignited it on July 4, had been in the grip of a delusion stemming from failure to take his schizophrenia medication.

The assailant, who had pled guilty to arson and recklessly placing people at risk of death, was eligible for release on Monday due to time served.

Around 20 worshippers were having a Friday night dinner inside the synagogue at the time of the attack.

“This is a difficult one because there do seem to be genuine mental health issues, but it’s perhaps worrying that Mr. Loras, who was born in Iran, came to have a bag with flammable liquids and something to start a fire with, that he came to choose a synagogue out of all the available buildings, and that he came to be there on a Friday night and was trying to gain entry,” Jamie Hyams, Director of Public Affairs at the Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council, told JNS on Monday.

“We certainly hope this was indeed just an unfortunate coincidence, and that there will be no repeat.”

The attack was one of three suspected antisemitic incidents to rock Melbourne that weekend, along with the storming and trashing of a popular Israeli-owned eatery and vandalism against a business and three vehicles.

The Australian government has blamed Iran for an arson attack on Melbourne’s Adass Israel Synagogue in December 2023, which extensively damaged the building, as well as an attack on a Sydney kosher food business two months earlier.

Last year, Israeli Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed the “anti-Israel attitude of the Labor government in Australia” for the arson of a Melbourne synagogue.

About 110,000 Jews live in Australia.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Arson Australia synagogue

Recent Posts

  • World News

US plans to bar Mahmoud Abbas from attending UN General Assembly for second year

Abbas has sought Turkey’s assistance in an effort to persuade Washington to reverse the planned…

34 minutes ago
  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

1 hour ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

3 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

3 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

4 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: ‘We prepared 5,000 graves for US invaders,’ says Iranian cemetery official

Tehran public cemetery director Mohammad-Javad Tajik stated that the regime dug 5,000 graves in the…

4 hours ago