World News

Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish buildup days before Israeli strike

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu subsequently said Israel had acted after its warnings over a Turkish military deployment were ignored.

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

Mossad Director Roman Gofman spoke with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani on August 14, 2026, about Turkey’s military buildup in Syria, four days before Israeli warplanes struck the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria’s Idlib province.

The phone conversation represented one of the highest-level contacts between Israel and Syria’s new government since the fall of former dictator Bashar al-Assad in December 2014.

Gofman and al-Shaibani discussed Israeli concerns about Turkish military deployments and an expanding Turkish presence in northern Syria.

Four days later, Israeli aircraft struck the Abu al-Duhur military airbase.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu subsequently said Israel had acted after its warnings over a Turkish military deployment were ignored.

“Israel and Syria had agreed on a security status quo, which Syria nearly violated by allowing Turkish soldiers to deploy at an air base near Aleppo,” Netanyahu’s office said in an English-language statement.

He added that “Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. Syria chose to ignore these warnings. Israel will not tolerate threats to its security and would welcome a return to the status quo.”

Netanyahu also said the strike followed warnings to Turkey about a southward military expansion that Israel considered a threat to its border.

The reported conversation between Gofman and al-Shaibani occurred days before the strike and involved the same issue of Turkish military activity in Syria that Netanyahu later cited in explaining Israel’s actions.

Turkey rejected Israel’s account of the reason for striking the airbase, describing the claims about its military position in Syria as “untenable allegations.”

Syrian officials, however, confirmed that Turkish officials had been present at the airbase. The Syrian acknowledgment did not establish that Turkish troops were preparing to deploy there, as Israel alleged.

Share
Published by
Miriam Metzinger
Tags: Mossad Syria Turkey

Recent Posts

  • WhatsApp Brief

Enough about Israel: Hochul urges Mamdani to focus on governing New York

New York Governor Kathy Hochul urged Mayor Zohran Mamdani to spend less time attacking Israel…

50 minutes ago
  • World News

US plans to bar Mahmoud Abbas from attending UN General Assembly for second year

Abbas has sought Turkey’s assistance in an effort to persuade Washington to reverse the planned…

10 hours ago
  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

10 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

12 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

12 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

13 hours ago