Israel News

Netanyahu condemns Iranian attack on UAE in call with Sheikh bin Zayed

The Islamic Republic has launched more than 550 ballistic and cruise missiles and more than 2,200 drones at the UAE, more than at any other country, according to the UAE Defense Ministry.

By JNS

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a phone call with UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan condemned the “Iranian terrorist attacks targeting civilians” in the Emirates, Abu Dhabi said on Monday.

Tehran launched missile and drone attacks on the United Arab Emirates on Monday for the first time since the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect last month, moderately injuring three Indian nationals.

Sheikh bin Zayed in the wake of the attacks also spoke with several other leaders, including Jordanian King Abdullah II and Masrour Barzani, prime minister of Iraq’s Kurdistan Region, according to an official Emirates News Agency report on Wednesday.

Netanyahu, King Abdullah and Barzani “affirmed their countries’ solidarity with the UAE and their support for all measures it takes to safeguard its security and stability and ensure the safety of its citizens,” per Abu Dhabi’s readout of the calls.

The Islamic Republic has launched more than 550 ballistic and cruise missiles and more than 2,200 drones at the UAE, more than at any other country, according to the UAE Defense Ministry.

Israel recently sent the UAE an Iron Dome system with attendant troops to help protect the country, marking the first time Jerusalem had sent an air defense battery to another country.

Netanyahu decided to send the Iron Dome battery after speaking by phone with Sheikh bin Zayed, Israeli officials told Axios last week.

Israeli Ambassador to the UAE Yossi Shelley told the Kan Reshet Bet radio station on Wednesday that Abu Dhabi hopes the Americans and Israelis “will do the job regarding the [Iranian] nuclear issue and the missiles.” He added: “Our relationship is currently growing because of economic, technological and medical interests.”

“As far as I understand, they want what we want: to see an end to this threat and to continue doing what they know how to do best: economy, business,” continued Shelly.

Asked whether the cooperation with Abu Dhabi includes assistance in intercepting missiles, the envoy replied: “That you should read about in the foreign press; I cannot comment on it.”

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Benjamin Netanyahu missile attacks UAE

Recent Posts

  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the war on drone smuggling across the Israel-Egypt border

Along the Israel-Egypt border, criminals deploy high-capacity drones capable of smuggling 60 kg of weapons…

2 hours ago
  • Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

Leaked UK Green Party chats reveal talk of ‘killing Zionists,’ wiping Israel off map

Leaked messages from Britain's Green Party internal chat reveals members casually discussed mass murder of…

3 hours ago
  • Israel News

New app offers legal advice for Israeli reservists traveling abroad

The app is initially geared toward Israeli reservists and teens about to enlist in the…

3 hours ago
  • Israel News

Israel advances E1 construction plans with tenders for 1,400 homes

Supporters regard E1 as strategically important for maintaining Israeli territorial continuity around Jerusalem.

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: IDF seals two more Hamas tunnels in Gaza

IDF forces sealed two Hamas tunnels spanning more than two kilometers in central and southern…

3 hours ago
  • Middle East

Struggling Hezbollah diverts cash from Lebanese civilians to rebuild terror arsenal

Money still reaching the organization from Iran through indirect channels is now being directed largely…

3 hours ago