Israel News

Netanyahu orders Israel into home lockdown to fight pandemic

Cabinet unanimously approves unprecedented emergency regulations to restrict movement, keep Israelis at home to slow spread of coronavirus.

By Paul Shindman, World Israel News

Israel’s cabinet unanimously approved emergency measures that went into effect Friday, putting the entire country under home lockdown for at least a week to try and stop the spread of the coronavirus.

“In the framework of the regulations activities in the public sphere will be reduced and restricted, restrictions have also been set for commercial and leisure activities for a period of seven days,” an official statement said.

On Thursday night Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced the drastic moves as coronavirus infections in Israel started to grow exponentially.

“Difficult times require difficult decisions,” a somber Netanyahu said in a nationally televised press conference. “Under these restrictions you, citizens of Israel, are required to stay home. It is no longer a request. It is no longer a recommendation. It is a binding directive that will be enforced by the enforcement authorities.”

“Everyone will remain at home except for workers whose work is permitted under Finance Ministry directives. This step is unprecedented since the foundation of the state. In effect, there has not been such a thing in the past 100 years,” Netanyahu said.

Israelis will be allowed out to buy food, medicine and essential supplies, and limited public transportation is available for those employed in essential jobs to get to work, but otherwise the country is in shutdown.

As of Friday morning the Ministry of Health reported 705 confirmed coronavirus infections in Israel, 10 of them in serious condition. With the number of infected Israelis doubling roughly every three days, experts feared that number could hit 10,000 by the end of March.

Religious activity for the nine million strong population of the Holy Land is also affected, with synagogues, churches and mosques closed to prevent worshipers from infecting each other. Jewish religious law requires at least 10 people to be present for prayer services three times a day and Israel’s health ministry documented several cases of infected people who had attended prayers – forcing all those present into two-week mandatory isolation.

“My entire history is devoted to the opening of synagogues and seminaries rather than to close them, but the danger to life posed by groups of people under the current conditions with the corona virus requires this,” Rabbi Shlomi Riskin, a prominent rabbi from Efrat, wrote to his community. Riskin issued a religious decree that not only closed all of the several dozen synagogues in his town, but also banned prayer groups from being held in private homes and outdoors.

The Palestinian Authority also ordered all churches and mosques closed, including the famous Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem‘s Old City. Palestinian media reported 48 confirmed cases of coronavirus, most of them in the Bethlehem area that has been under quarantine since the first cases were discovered earlier this month.

Share
Published by
Paul Shindman
Tags: Benjamin Netanyahu coronavirus

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Netanyahu rips ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Turkey seeks to arrest him and dozens of Israeli officials

Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…

15 hours ago
  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

23 hours ago
  • World News

Female Muslim convert charged with planning massive bomb attack on NY State Capitol

The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

1 day ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

1 day ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

1 day ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

1 day ago