Arab-Israeli Conflict

Netanyahu responding to Iranian threats: ‘We know how to defend ourselves’

Earlier in the week, 7 high-ranking Iranian military officials were killed in a targeted airstrike near the Iranian embassy in Syria.

By JNS

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu directly addressed Iran at a high-level meeting on Thursday night, warning the Islamic Republic that whoever harms or plans to harm the Jewish state will be hurt back.

“For years, Iran has been working against us, both directly and through its proxies, and therefore Israel has been working against Iran and its proxies, both on the defense and offense,” said the premier.

“We will know how to defend ourselves and will act according to the simple principle that whoever hurts us or plans to hurt us—we will hurt him,” he added.

Israel’s Political-Security Cabinet gathered in Jerusalem on Thursday night to discuss the Iranian threat, as well as to receive an update on the ongoing hostage negotiations with Hamas.

On Monday, seven members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, including its leader in Syria and Lebanon, were killed in an attack in Damascus that targeted a building adjacent to the Iranian embassy.

Brig. Gen. Mohammad Zahedi was the most senior regime official to be killed since the death of Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh in Tehran in an assassination attributed to Israel four years ago.

Israel has not officially taken responsibility for the attack, but four officials have told The New York Times that Jerusalem ordered the strike.

Senior sources in the Iranian regime told Reuters on Thursday that Tehran would give a “serious response” to the raid, though suggested that it would avoid a direct clash with Israel and the United States.

According to Israeli assessments reported by Channel 12, Iran could attempt to strike Israel through one of its terror proxies—Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthis in Yemen or militia forces in Syria.

The Israel Defense Forces has been placed on high alert, resulting in combat soldiers’ weekend leaves being canceled and the military calling up additional reserve soldiers to the IDF Aerial Defense Array.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: defense Iran IRCG

Recent Posts

  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Ben-Gvir: Israel is building death row wing, hanging facility for terrorists

A resident of the area who intentionally kills someone in a terrorist attack is subject…

4 hours ago
  • Source-WIN

Israel Confirms Syria Strike After Damascus Ignored Warnings

'Israel will not tolerate threats to its security, and would welcome a return to the…

5 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF Targets Hamas Nukhba commanders planning attacks on Israeli forces in Gaza

One of the Hamas terrorists targeted in the strike had infiltrated Israeli territory during the…

5 hours ago
  • Source-WIN

Damascus confirms nuclear material as Israel warns against Syrian nuclear activity

Syria's foreign ministry said the nuclear material is for civilian uses and will comply with…

6 hours ago
  • World News

Trump rules out Iran talks as missiles target UAE, ship in Strait of Hormuz

Washington is considering a complete withdrawal from the Gulf and the evacuation of U.S. bases…

7 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Hamas terrorists can vote in Minnesota?

According to Minnesota law, a registered voter can vouch for up to eight people who…

7 hours ago