Arab-Israeli Conflict

Northern Israel braces for retaliation after Beirut strike kills Hezbollah commander

The IDF Northern Command ordered the cancellation of special exemptions that had allowed large open-air events.

By Pesach Benson, TPS

Following a Beirut airstrike that killed Hezbollah’s Radwan Force commander, Israeli authorities in northern communities canceled planned events on Thursday amid fears of retaliation.

Local officials acted after the Israel Defense Forces Home Front Command warned that gatherings previously exempt from defensive restrictions in the northern border area could become vulnerable.

“Accordingly, events that had previously been exempted from the Home Front Command’s defensive guidelines in the northern border area have been canceled due to the possibility of enemy fire by the Hezbollah terrorist organization toward the area,” the Home Front Command said.

The Israel Defense Forces said its Home Front Command guidelines remain unchanged, but the Northern Command ordered the cancellation of special exemptions that had allowed large open-air events.

Local authorities said they were updating plans in line with ongoing security assessments.

Among the cancellations were post-Lag BaOmer bonfires in Kfar Vradim, a farmers’ market in Agmon Hula, and municipal events in Nahariya.

Merom Galil Regional Council head Amit Sofer urged residents to avoid nonessential mass gatherings and comply with Home Front Command instructions.

The heightened alert follows an overnight airstrike in Beirut that killed Radwan Force commander Ahmad Ghaleb Balout.

According to the IDF, Balout previously served as the unit’s chief of operations and oversaw dozens of attacks against Israeli troops in southern Lebanon, including anti-tank missile fire and explosives.

The IDF also said he was involved in efforts to rebuild Radwan capabilities and advance the group’s “Conquer the Galilee” invasion plan.

“He thought he could continue to direct attacks against our forces and our communities from his secret terrorist headquarters in Beirut,” said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“He likely read in the press that he had immunity in Beirut. Well, he read it and it is no longer the case.”

Also killed in the strike was an intelligence officer in the Radwan Force, the IDF said.

The strike, in the Dahiyeh district, a Hezbollah stronghold, was the first in Beirut since April 8.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Hezbollah Lebanon missile attacks

Recent Posts

  • Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

French Jew recounts harrowing antisemitic incident – ‘We feared we would be murdered’

The men eventually managed to escape to their hotel, with members of the crowd pursuing…

7 minutes ago
  • Israel News

83 years later, Yad Vashem honors Dutch woman who saved Jewish baby during Holocaust

More than 28,000 people from 51 countries have been recognized as Righteous Among the Nations,…

16 minutes ago
  • Videos

WATCH: NBA legend Amar’e Stoudemire reveals love for Israel, Torah in Hall of Fame speech

Newly inaugurated NBA Hall of Famer Amar'e Stoudemire opened up about his 20-year secret of…

33 minutes ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF preparing to seize Hezbollah stronghold – report

Israel said to be preparing for new campaign in southern Lebanon, with the goal of…

36 minutes ago
  • Israel News

Likud primary opens with half of current MKs facing possible ouster

Netanyahu plans to insert at least eight reserved candidates in the top 20 slots.

1 hour ago
  • Middle East

How China secretly funds Tehran – and the US plan to crackdown on sanctions evasions

Trump administration sets its sights on secret Chinese oil trade which has funneled tens of…

1 hour ago