March of the Living at the entrance to the Auschwitz death camp in Poland. (Yossi Zeliger/Flash90)
Polish officials appear to be testing a new law that criminalizes mentioning Polish complicity in the Holocaust, even before its constitutionality has been decided.
By: Batya Jerenberg, World Israel News
A joint Polish-Israeli Holocaust memorial ceremony was supposed to take place Monday in Radomsko, Poland, but Polish officials objected to parts of Kiryat Bialik Mayor Eli Dukorsky’s speech which referred to Polish bystanders and collaborators. Although he was also going to speak about those who helped Jews during the dark days of World War II, they asked him to remove the parts that the new Polish law criminalizes – the mention of Polish complicity in the Holocaust.
Although the contentious Holocaust legislation is still being reviewed by the country’s constitutional tribunal and there are ongoing discussions with Israeli officials as to its wording, it appears Polish officials are resolved to send a message regarding their intent to enforce the law.
Kiryat Bialik is a small city in northern Israel that has several sister cities, among them Radomska, Poland, whose ghetto was liquidated during World War II. A group of Israeli high school students from Kiryat Bialik has been in Radomska since mid-December on a student exchange program, according to Polish media, and Dukorsky was going to address them as well as others in the ceremony.
Before his speech, however, Dukorsky’s host, Radomsko Mayor Jaroslaw Ferenc, told him that officials wanted to review it, and when they requested it be censored, the mayor consulted with Israel’s Foreign Ministry, which told him to refuse.
“We reject any attempt at censorship,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Emanuel Nachshon told Israel’s Channel 2, adding, “We support the mayor’s right to speak out as he planned and not to skip a word, not even one letter.”
According to media reports, the Poles then cancelled the ceremony, and Dukorsky held a private commemoration for his students alone, giving his speech in full. Meanwhile, the Foreign Ministry contacted its counterpart in Poland over the incident.
In a statement sent to The Jerusalem Post, Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely said she regretted that the municipality had canceled the joint ceremony, but that “Israel is not prepared to compromise on historical facts” although “there is no intention to blame the entire Polish nation.”
Last week, the deputy director of Poland’s Foreign Ministry caused a minor media stir upon his visit to Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust museum, when he objected to an exhibit’s explanation that referred to “Polish police” guarding the entrance to the Lodz Ghetto along with Germans.
President Trump lauds Mecca Accords between Islamic powers, linking Saudi Arabia with Pakistan and Turkey.
Jared Kushner, Tony Blair, and Nickolay Mladenov meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu, with the aim…
Speaking to Fox News, President Trump called on Iran to raise the white flag of…
As memorandum of understanding with Iran nears end, President Trump rebuts recent comments by Vice…
The ruling Likud party threatens legal action against organizers of initiative aimed at flying Israelis…
The men eventually managed to escape to their hotel, with members of the crowd pursuing…