Categories: World News

Reports indicate Iran nuclear agreement will not be reached by deadline

In a sign that no real progress has been made on preventing Iran from maintaining its ability to produce nuclear weapons, today’s deadline will likely come and go with no framework deal.

Reports coming out of the Lausanne talks between the P5+1 powers and Iran regarding its nuclear program indicate that the sides will announce that they have achieved some level of understanding just hours before the March 31st deadline.

Officials, who demanded anonymity because their information is confidential, say that the statement to be issued Tuesday evening will “lack specifics” and be accompanied by documents outlining more details.

The understandings that were reached reflect emaining obstacles to a final agreement while allowing  the sides to continue negotiating in a new phase toward a comprehensive deal to be achieved in late June.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is heading back to Lausanne, indicating that a successful end to the talks is forthcoming. He departed on Monday, saying he would return if a deal is imminent.

US Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif have already been joined by the foreign ministers of the five other nations at the table.

By: World Israel Staff and AP
Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Iran Kerry Lausanne Lavrov Zarif

Recent Posts

  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

1 hour ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

1 hour ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

2 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: ‘We prepared 5,000 graves for US invaders,’ says Iranian cemetery official

Tehran public cemetery director Mohammad-Javad Tajik stated that the regime dug 5,000 graves in the…

2 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

No green light granted to entry of int’l force into Gaza, Israel says

The Trump administration notified Congress last month that it would provide more than $206 million…

2 hours ago
  • Israel News

Funding dispute may close down Hebron’s Tomb of the Patriarchs

The site has relied in part on coalition agreement funds that were not formally incorporated…

2 hours ago