Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Harmeet Dhillon announces suit against anti-Israel synagogue protesters, September 29, 2025. (X)
Justice Department files lawsuit against anti-Israel activists who targeted New Jersey synagogue last year to protest real estate fair featuring properties in Israel.
By World Israel News Staff
The Trump administration has filed a federal lawsuit against anti-Israel activists who held a protest outside of a New Jersey synagogue last year, senior Justice Department officials announced earlier this week.
On Monday, Assistant Attorney General Harmeet Dhillon, who heads the Justice Department’s civil rights division, announced that the department had filed a suit with the US District Court in New Jersey against two anti-Israel groups and six individual activists involved in a violent protest outside of a synagogue.
The lawsuit stems from an incident on November 13th, 2024, when anti-Israel demonstrators staged a protest outside Congregation B’nai Shalom, a synagogue in West Orange, New Jersey, during a real estate fair which featured properties in Israeli towns in Judea and Samaria.
According to the Justice Department’s filing, the protesters blocked access to the synagogue, shouted at worshippers, and engaged in threatening conduct that left congregants feeling unsafe entering or leaving the building.
The suit claims that the demonstration crossed the line from protected protest into intimidation and obstruction of religious exercise, violating the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act. The FACE Act was originally drafted to shield abortion clinics from protests, but also protects access to houses of worship.
“This Justice Department will vigorously enforce the right of every American to worship in peace and without fear,” said Dhillon.
“Those who target houses of worship and violate our federal laws protecting people of faith are on notice that they will face the consequences.”
Attorney General Pam Bondi touted the lawsuit, saying it upheld basic principles of religious freedom.
“No American should be harassed, targeted, or discriminated against for peacefully practicing their religion.”
“Today’s lawsuit underscores this Department of Justice’s commitment to defending Jewish Americans – and all Americans of faith – from those who would threaten their right to worship.”
Hours after the suit was announced, the Orthodox Jewish group Agudath Israel of America praised the Trump administration for the move.
“We have seen time and again how antisemitic intimidation has led to violence,” Agudath Israel legislative affairs director Shlomo Schorr said. “No person of faith should ever feel unsafe or obstructed when entering a house of worship.”
President Trump's envoy Jared Kushner reportedly pressed Israel's prime minister to halt attacks on Hamas…
Along the Israel-Egypt border, criminals deploy high-capacity drones capable of smuggling 60 kg of weapons…
Leaked messages from Britain's Green Party internal chat reveals members casually discussed mass murder of…
The app is initially geared toward Israeli reservists and teens about to enlist in the…
Supporters regard E1 as strategically important for maintaining Israeli territorial continuity around Jerusalem.
IDF forces sealed two Hamas tunnels spanning more than two kilometers in central and southern…