World News

Trump may strike Iran after returning from China – Axios

Potential targets have already been identified within Iran’s infrastructure.

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

President Donald Trump is considering renewed military action against Iran after returning from his trip to China, according to Axios, which cited US officials who said the administration is weighing additional pressure on the Iranian regime as negotiations remain deadlocked.

US officials told Axios that Trump is leaning toward military action following Iran’s negative response to the ceasefire proposal, though they said it is unlikely he would authorize a new strike before returning from his trip to China.

Potential targets have already been identified within Iran’s infrastructure, and discussions have included possible joint actions with Israel related to Iran’s uranium stockpiles.

During the visit, Trump is expected to discuss the Iran war with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Ahead of the trip, Trump met Monday with his national security team to discuss the next phase of the war, including the possibility of resuming military operations after talks between Washington and Tehran stalled, Axios reported.

Iran’s response, delivered Sunday, was described by Iranian state television as a rejection of the American proposal, which the broadcaster said “meant Iran’s surrender to Trump’s excessive demands.”

Trump publicly dismissed Tehran’s reply and signaled continued opposition to any arrangement that would allow Iran to retain nuclear capabilities.

“I don’t like it. It is inappropriate,” Trump said Sunday.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday before meeting his national security team, Trump said his administration remained committed to preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon: “I have a plan. Iran can’t have a nuclear weapon,” Trump told reporters.

He also raised doubts about the durability of the ceasefire currently in place between the sides: “The ceasefire with Iran is on massive life support,” Trump added.

Trump said Iran had previously agreed to relinquish its stockpile of enriched uranium to the United States but appeared to reverse course when its Sunday response omitted any mention of the issue.

He also described divisions within Iran’s leadership, saying the regime was split between “moderates and lunatics.”

CNBC separately reported that Trump warned he would resume heavy bombing if no agreement is reached, saying he would “bomb the hell out of them.”

Share
Published by
Miriam Metzinger
Tags: China Donald Trump Iran war

Recent Posts

  • World News

US plans to bar Mahmoud Abbas from attending UN General Assembly for second year

Abbas has sought Turkey’s assistance in an effort to persuade Washington to reverse the planned…

8 hours ago
  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

9 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

11 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

11 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

11 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: ‘We prepared 5,000 graves for US invaders,’ says Iranian cemetery official

Tehran public cemetery director Mohammad-Javad Tajik stated that the regime dug 5,000 graves in the…

11 hours ago