Categories: Source-WIN World News

Trump replaces previous travel ban with revised version

Trump issued an executive order on Monday that replaces his original travel ban on nationals from seven Muslim countries. 

US President Donald Trump issued a modified travel ban that excludes nationals from Iraq as well as providing a number of exceptions among those from the six countries included in the new order.

“In light of the Ninth Circuit’s observation that the political branches are better suited to determine the appropriate scope of any suspensions than are the courts, and in order to avoid spending additional time pursuing litigation, I am revoking Executive Order 13769 and replacing it with this order, which expressly excludes from the suspensions categories of aliens that have prompted judicial concerns and which clarifies or refines the approach to certain other issues or categories of affected aliens,” Trump wrote in the new executive order.

Notably, Trump appeared to address the concerns of several district court justices that the previous ban intruded on constitutionally granted rights of due process and equal protection under the law.

“I therefore direct that the entry into the United States of nationals of those six countries (Libya, Somalia, Yemen, Syria, Iran and Sudan) be suspended for 90 days from the effective date of this order, subject to the limitations, waivers, and exceptions set forth in sections 3 and 12 of this order,” he stated.

Examples of exceptions include legal permanent residents and nationals of the six countries holding valid travel documents of entry or who had been granted asylum.

Trump’s previous ban also excluded nationals from the relevant countries with special diplomatic visas.

Another noticeable difference is the exclusion of Iraq in the modified ban, in large part due to an apparent demonstration of commitment by the Iraqi government to fight terrorism and to screen individuals.

“Iraq’s commitment to combat ISIS justify different treatment for Iraq,” the executive order states. “In particular, those Iraqi government forces that have fought to regain more than half of the territory previously dominated by ISIS have shown steadfast determination and earned enduring respect as they battle an armed group that is the common enemy of Iraq and the United States.”

“In addition, since Executive Order 13769 was issued, the Iraqi government has expressly undertaken steps to enhance travel documentation, information sharing, and the return of Iraqi nationals subject to final orders of removal,” the order continues.

Iraqi nationals will still be required to undergo a thorough review before entry into the US.

By: Jonathan Benedek, World Israel News

Share
Published by
Jonathan Benedek
Tags: Iraq ISIS travel ban

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Iran’s oil exports down to ‘zero barrels,’ says US Energy Secretary

Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…

1 minute ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside an Israeli student’s fight against campus antisemitism

Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…

22 minutes ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Trump: Israel should stop bombing Gaza

Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…

51 minutes ago
  • World News

El-Sayed: ‘Rashida Tlaib is like my sister’

El-Sayed previously appeared at a Democratic Socialists of America event alongside Tlaib, headlining a fundraiser…

52 minutes ago
  • World News

Kaine to introduce Senate war powers resolution after Trump threatens Oman

The Virginia senator has previously led Democratic efforts in the Senate to curb Trump’s authority…

1 hour ago
  • Analysis & Opinion

Legitimizing terror: the dangerous illusions of Kushner’s Gaza roadmap

What these gentlemen just don’t seem to understand, is that Hamas is not a mismanaged…

1 hour ago