Categories: World News

US court rules terror victims can seize $2.8M in damages from Iran 

Victims of Iran’s global terrorism operations will be able to seize  funds in damages from monies owed to Iran.

By: AP

Ten terrorist attack victims who won financial claims against Iran can seize a $2.8 million judgment owed to that country’s defense ministry, a federal appeals court said Friday.

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the seizure would not violate agreements between Iran and the United States to resolve the Iran hostage crisis of decades ago. The court also said the money, which has grown to more than $9.4 million with interest and attorneys’ fees, was among assets that had been frozen by an executive order.

A call to an attorney who represented Iran’s defense ministry was not immediately returned.

The victims include survivors of a 1997 suicide bombing in Jerusalem. A lower court judge determined that Iran provided training and other material assistance to the bombers and ordered Iran to pay the victims damages ranging from $2.5 million to $15 million, according to the 9th Circuit ruling.

Another victim is the son of former Iranian prime minister Shapoir Bakhtiar, who opposed Iran’s Islamic regime and was murdered at his home in France in 1991.

Iran won the $2.8 million judgment in 1997 against an American defense company that had agreed to sell it an air combat system. The sale was disrupted by the 1979 Iranian revolution, and Iran sought reimbursement.

The 9th Circuit has previously ruled that a separate group of terrorist attack victims who won financial judgments against Iran could go after $17 million owed to an Iranian bank.

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Iran Islamic terror Terror Victims US court

Recent Posts

  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF strikes Syria terrorist planning IED attack on troops

The strike took place near Beit Jinn, about 10 kilometers, or 6 miles, from the…

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: New Zealand PM accused of supporting genocide by anti-Israel demonstrator

During a speech to his constituents, New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was confronted by…

4 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Gaza kite launches raise fears of renewed attacks along Israeli border

Authorities are investigating whether they were used for intelligence collection ahead of possible future operations.

4 hours ago
  • World News

Michigan rabbi says he’ll vote for Mike Rogers as local Jews fret over El-Sayed

Rogers' campaign launched a “Democrats for Mike Rogers” coalition, seeking to highlight Democratic voters who…

4 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: UAE erects massive cages protecting oil facilities from Iranian drones

A UAE broadcast showed massive metal cages surrounding fuel storage tanks, built to protect them…

5 hours ago
  • Israel News

Second ‘Gideon’ aerial refueling tanker joins Israeli Air Force

The induction of the new aircraft represents a significant boost to the Air Force’s capabilities…

5 hours ago