World News

29 wounded in Manhattan explosion

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio ruled out any terror connections at this time, but called the blast an “intentional act.”

A late Saturday night blast in the heart of Chelsea, a popular Manhattan neighborhood, left 29 people injured, while another explosive device was discovered and defused in the same area.

The bomb that exploded appeared to have been planted in a toolbox in front of a building.

The blast occurred in front of a residence for the blind, near a major thoroughfare with many restaurants. The explosion blew out the windows of businesses and scattered debris in the area.

One of the victims suffered a puncture wound that was considered serious. The other injuries were minor, described as scrapes and bruises.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio ruled out any terror connections at this time, but called the blast an “intentional act.”

“Tonight, New York City experienced a very bad incident,” de Blasio said. “We have no credible and specific threat at this moment.”

“Now, I want to be clear whatever the cause, whatever the intention here, New Yorkers will not be intimidated,” De Blasio said. “We are not going to let anyone change who we are or how we go about our lives.”

It is yet unclear who was behind the blast and what motivated it.

The second device found four blocks from the scene appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a cellphone. The device was removed with a robot and taken to a department firing range in the Bronx.

FBI and Homeland Security and an ATF arson and explosive task force are investigating the incident.

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was briefed about the incident and stated the nation needs to support its first responders and “pray for the victims.”

“We have to let this investigation unfold,” she said.

Her opponent Donald Trump said the US “better get very tough, folks. We better get very, very tough. It’s a terrible thing that’s going on in our world, in our country and we are going to get tough and smart and vigilant.”

The blast came hours after a pipe bomb exploded in Seaside Park, New Jersey, shortly before thousands of runners participated in a charity 5K race to benefit Marines and sailors. No injuries were reported. The event was cancelled.

By: World Israel News Staff
AP contributed to this report.

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Bombing attack Chelsea De Blasio Manhattan New York

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Iran’s oil exports down to ‘zero barrels,’ says US Energy Secretary

Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…

7 minutes ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside an Israeli student’s fight against campus antisemitism

Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…

28 minutes ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Trump: Israel should stop bombing Gaza

Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…

57 minutes ago
  • World News

El-Sayed: ‘Rashida Tlaib is like my sister’

El-Sayed previously appeared at a Democratic Socialists of America event alongside Tlaib, headlining a fundraiser…

58 minutes ago
  • World News

Kaine to introduce Senate war powers resolution after Trump threatens Oman

The Virginia senator has previously led Democratic efforts in the Senate to curb Trump’s authority…

1 hour ago
  • Analysis & Opinion

Legitimizing terror: the dangerous illusions of Kushner’s Gaza roadmap

What these gentlemen just don’t seem to understand, is that Hamas is not a mismanaged…

1 hour ago