Israel News

Abbas confirms Hamas ‘gangs’ stealing Gaza aid

Hamas has looted at least 60% of the aid that Israel allowed to enter Gaza, the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) revealed last year.

By Akiva Van Koningsveld, JNS

“Gangs” affiliated with the Hamas terrorist group have been looting humanitarian aid meant for civilians in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas said over the weekend.

Abbas condemned the “looting and theft carried out by criminal gangs targeting warehouses and storage facilities of humanitarian aid,” speaking in an official statement published by the P.A.’s Wafa news site on Friday.

According to the P.A., which controls most of the Palestinians in Judea and Samaria but was violently ousted from Gaza by Hamas in a June 2007 coup, “Hamas-affiliated gangs” have been “primarily responsible” for the theft.

Abbas said Palestinians would “not forgive these disgraceful acts committed in such a critical time,” referring to the Israel Defense Forces’ ongoing war against Hamas terrorists in the coastal enclave.

He warned that the gangs were “well known to the Palestinian public” and would “top the blacklist to be held accountable and brought to justice in accordance with the law at the appropriate time.”

Hamas has looted at least 60% of the aid that Israel allowed to enter Gaza, the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) revealed last year. On March 2, Jerusalem halted the aid supply following Hamas’s rejection of another U.S.-backed truce-for-hostages proposal.

Egypt- and China-brokered reconciliation talks between Abbas’s ruling Fatah faction and Hamas have apparently broken down since the latter terrorist organization announced the signing of an agreement in July.

P.A. sources previously told Sky News Arabia that Hamas had approved a three-phase plan leading to “complete reconciliation” and the Gaza-based terrorist group joining the PLO terrorist organization, which controls the P.A., under a “unified Palestinian-Arab vision.”

Hamas reportedly gave its blessing to Abbas’s proposal to establish a government whose purpose would be the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip after the war prompted by its Oct. 7, 2023, terrorist massacre.

However, on April 23, Abbas called on Hamas to “end its control over Gaza, hand over all its affairs to the Palestine Liberation Organization and the legitimate Palestinian National Authority, refrain from carrying arms, transform into a political party that operates according to the laws of the Palestinian state and adheres to international legitimacy.

“The first priority is to stop the war of extermination in the Gaza Strip,” declared the octogenarian P.A. chairman. Abbas added, “This must be stopped—hundreds are being killed every day. Why don’t you hand over the American hostages? Sons of dogs, release those you are holding and put an end to this story. Shut down their [Israel’s] excuses. End this!”

It was not clear whether Abbas, who has yet to publicly condemn Oct. 7, called for the release of all 59 remaining captives, or only Americans.

Members of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a “military” arm of Abbas’s Fatah movement, participated in the Oct. 7 attacks, and the P.A. has financially rewarded Oct. 7 terrorists through its “pay-for-slay” fund.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Gaza Hamas humanitarian aid Mahmoud Abbas

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Netanyahu rips ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Turkey seeks to arrest him and dozens of Israeli officials

Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…

14 hours ago
  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

23 hours ago
  • World News

Female Muslim convert charged with planning massive bomb attack on NY State Capitol

The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

1 day ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

1 day ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

1 day ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

1 day ago