(Shutterstock)
Prominent pizzeria in Bavaria under fire after it banned Israeli customers over the war against Hamas, suggesting they will only be allowed back “when they decide to open their eyes, ears, and hearts.”
By World Israel News Staff
A German pizzeria has come under fire after it declared all Israeli citizens persona non grata, issuing a blanket ban on all customers from the Jewish state.
Pizza Zulu, located in Fürth, Bavaria, recently posted a notice announcing that Israelis would not receive service, citing the ongoing war against the Hamas terror organization in the Gaza Strip.
“Dear customers, we love all people, no matter where they come from,” the pizzeria’s management wrote in the notice. “We are part of civil society and will therefore not stand idly by like the rest of the world.”
“That is why we have decided to protest. Our protest is not political, let alone racist. Israeli citizens are not welcome in this establishment.”
The pizzeria’s operators left open the door for serving Israeli customers in the future “as soon as they decide to open their eyes, ears, and hearts.”
No details were provided regarding how the pizzeria’s management would determine whether such a change has occurred.
The sign drew fire from both the German Jewish community and the Israeli government.
“Such exclusion is simply shameful and horrific,” Julia Tschekalina, head of the Jewish community in Fürth, told DPA, adding that she planned to file a formal complaint to the regional antisemitism czar, Ludwig Spaenle.
Israel castigated the move, comparing it to anti-Jewish bans and boycotts in the 1930s.
“The 1930s are back, this time in Fürth,” the Israeli Embassy in Germany tweeted on Wednesday.
“At the door of a local establishment this was displayed: ‘Israeli citizens are not welcome here’.”
“This is neither a protest nor a misunderstanding. This is crystal-clear antisemitism. That’s how it started back then: step by step, sign by sign. Police, prosecutors, and courts must take action. Jewish life must be safe and visible in Germany – everywhere, at all times.”
The owner of Pizza Zulu later told DPA he was surprised by the backlash and said he removed the notice several hours after putting it up.
Last week, an antique shop in Flensburg, Germany, made international headlines after the owner posted a sign reading: “Jews are banned here!!!!! Nothing personal. Not even antisemitism. I just can’t stand you.”
The owner, 60-year-old Hans Platen-Reisch, later told German media that the sign was a form of protest against Israel’s war in Gaza.
“Jews live in Israel, and I can’t tell who supports the strikes and who doesn’t,” he said. “To me, it’s hypocrisy. They always say history must not repeat itself, and then they do the same themselves.”
President Trump's envoy to Syria accuses Israel of bombing Syrian airbase, denouncing the attack as…
Despite claims by Israeli leaders to the contrary, the IDF has reportedly withdrawn from large…
Jared Kushner says progress in Gaza disarmament could start in as little as one to…
Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…
Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…
Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…