Source-WIN

US strikes Iran as region braces for escalation

“CENTCOM does not seek escalation but remains positioned and ready to protect American forces,” the statement said.

By World Israel News Staff

The United States carried out strikes Thursday on targets in Qeshm Island and Bandar Abbas in southern Iran, including an oil port on Qeshm, according to a senior U.S. official who spoke to Fox News.

The official said the action came in response to the launch of 15 ballistic and cruise missiles earlier this week toward the port of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates, adding, “This is not a resumption of the war.”

A statement attributed to Iran’s army spokesperson accused the U.S. of “violating the ceasefire” by targeting an Iranian oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz and conducting strikes along coastal areas including Bandar Khamir, Sirik, and Qeshm Island.

The statement claimed Iranian forces “immediately responded” by attacking U.S. military vessels east of the Strait of Hormuz, reportedly inflicting significant damage.

However, United States Central Command (CENTCOM) offered a sharply different account, saying U.S. Navy destroyers USS Truxtun, USS Rafael Peralta, and USS Mason came under Iranian missile, drone, and small boat attacks while transiting the Strait of Hormuz on May 7.

According to CENTCOM, U.S. forces intercepted the threats and carried out self-defense strikes on Iranian missile and drone launch sites, command centers, and ISR facilities. “No U.S. vessels were hit,” the statement said.

“CENTCOM does not seek escalation but remains positioned and ready to protect American forces,” the command added.

Israeli officials assess that the exchange of strikes between Iran and the United States in the Gulf region has come to an end, with both sides concluding their attacks.

The U.S. military has reportedly withdrawn its destroyers from the Strait of Hormuz after returning fire and carrying out strikes inside Iran.

The developments come as tensions remain high across the region, even as reports suggest a possible deal to end the war may be close.

At the same time, President Trump has warned that fighting could resume if an agreement is not reached, leaving the situation on edge.

This is a developing story.

Share
Published by
Yoel Stavsky
Tags: IRGC Strait of Hormuz UAE

Recent Posts

  • Israel News

A first: Jews permitted to bring prayer books to Temple Mount

Bucking long standing restrictions by the Muslim Waqf, Jews visiting the Temple Mount allowed to…

50 minutes ago
  • World News

US-Iran Memorandum of Understanding set to officially expire

The US-Iran ceasefire framework is set to expire Monday with neither side signaling plans to…

1 hour ago
  • World News

Why did Iranian army chief place bounty on US soldiers?

Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami called for Americans to be captured or killed for a…

1 hour ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Political survival on the line: Likud holds explosive primary ahead of national vote

Some 140,000 Likud members head to the polls Monday for a fiercely contested primary that…

2 hours ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

He knew the bombs were coming: IAF major arrested, accused of betting on secret Israeli strikes

An Israeli Air Force major has been arrested on suspicion of using sensitive military information…

3 hours ago
  • World News

Iran announces $30,000 reward for killing or capturing American soldiers

Hatami did not specify where or when Iranians were expected to encounter US military personnel…

11 hours ago