Capt. Maoz Israel Recanati, 24, was killed in a Hezbollah drone strike in southern Lebanon. (Screenshot/X)
Capt. Maoz Israel Recanati, 24, was killed in a Hezbollah drone strike in southern Lebanon.
By World Israel News Staff
An Israeli soldier was killed by an explosive drone launched by Hezbollah in southern Lebanon on Friday, the same day the White House announced that the ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon had been extended for an additional 45 days.
Capt. Maoz Israel Recanati, 24, a platoon commander in the Golani Brigade’s 12th Battalion, was named as the fallen soldier in an IDF statement.
Recanati, who was from Itamar, is survived by his parents and six siblings.
He was engaged to marry his fiancée, Rani Leah Kellerman, next month.
“Our hearts are broken for a young life that was cut short just before he was to build a home in Israel,” Yossi Dagan, head of the Samaria Regional Council, said in a statement.
“All of Samaria bows its head and grieves with the dear family, and embraces them at this difficult time. His image and heroism will accompany us and give us the strength to strengthen and build a life here,” Dagan added.
Recanati is the seventh Israeli soldier killed while fighting Hezbollah since a truce between Israel and Lebanon was declared on April 16.
The ceasefire has been marked by repeated violations by Hezbollah, which has continued using explosive drones to target Israeli troops in southern Lebanon and northern Israel.
Although the Lebanese government formally approved a resolution calling for Hezbollah to disarm, the terror group has refused to relinquish its weapons and continues to receive significant backing from Iran.
Opponents of Hezbollah within Lebanon have increasingly accused the terror group of dragging the country into continued conflict with Israel and undermining Lebanon’s broader national interests.
Meanwhile, despite a Lebanese government resolution calling for Hezbollah to disarm, the organization has refused to give up its weapons.
Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…
Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'
The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'
The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…
After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…
Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…