Middle East

Iran holding war games as it faces Israel tensions, Trump’s return

‘In these exercises, … defense systems will practice the fight against air, missile, and electronic warfare threats in real battlefield conditions… to protect the country’s skies and sensitive and vital areas,’ Iranian state television said.

By The Algemeiner and Reuters

Iran was holding air defense exercises on Saturday, state media reported, as the country braces for more friction with arch-enemy Israel and the United States under incoming US president Donald Trump.

The war games take place as Iranian leaders face the risk that Trump could empower Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to attack Iran’s nuclear sites, while further tightening US sanctions on its oil industry through his “maximum pressure” policy.

“In these exercises, … defense systems will practice the fight against air, missile and electronic warfare threats in real battlefield conditions… to protect the country’s skies and sensitive and vital areas,” Iranian state television said.

Saturday’s drills are part of two-months-long exercises launched on Jan. 4 which have already included war games in which the elite Revolutionary Guards defended key nuclear installations in Natanz against mock attacks by missiles and drones, state media said.

Iran’s military has said it was using new drones and missiles in the exercises and released footage of a new underground “missile city” being visited by Guards Commander-in-Chief Major General Hossein Salami.

Iran has recently suffered setbacks in Lebanon after Israeli attacks against Iranian-backed Hezbollah and the toppling of Tehran’s ally President Bashar Al-Assad in Syria last month.

But Salami warned, in a speech carried by state TV about a “false sense of delight” among Iran’s enemies, saying Iran and particularly its missile forces were stronger than ever.

While Iranian officials have downplayed Iran’s setbacks, an Iranian general, Behrouz Esbati, who was reportedly based in Syria, said in a speech circulated on social media that Iran had “badly lost” in Syria. Reuters could not verify the recording.

Trump in 2018 withdrew from a deal struck by his predecessor Barack Obama in 2015 in which Iran agreed to curb uranium enrichment, which can yield material for nuclear weapons, in return for the relaxation of US and U.N. economic sanctions.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: air defense Donald Trump Iran nuclear sites

Recent Posts

  • Analysis & Opinion

Palestinians’ preferred leaders: A convicted Fatah terrorist or Hamas

If legislative elections were held today, Fatah would receive 32% of the votes, and Hamas's…

38 minutes ago
  • Israel News

Ben-Gurion Airport resumes operations after work stoppage disrupts summer travel

Transportation Minister Miri Regev said she had instructed the IAA to seek a labor court…

53 minutes ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Israeli MMA fighter pummels anti-Israel activist after issuing challenge

Palestinian anti-Israel activist Ido Amiaz issued a challenge for any pro-Israel personality to come fight…

1 hour ago
  • Source-WIN

Hamas using Gaza hospital as a torture chamber – report

IDF, Shin Bet say Hamas is using a Gaza hospital for interrogations and torture.

4 hours ago
  • World News

UK demands Israel cancel plans to build in E1 corridor east of Jerusalem

Furious over plans for 1,234 housing units in new project linking Jerusalem to Ma'ale Adumim,…

5 hours ago
  • World News

Indian ex-general blasts Mecca Pact, calls for alliance with Iran

Retired Indian general warns pact between Pakistan, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia threatens India, calls for…

5 hours ago