World News

Iranian president: ‘Dialogue does not mean surrender’

Two U.S. officials said Trump is expected to meet with his top national security team in the Situation Room on Tuesday to review military options.

By Joshua Marks, JNS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran would not relinquish the “legal rights of the people and the country” even as it engages in diplomacy, after U.S. President Donald Trump postponed a planned military strike at the request of Gulf leaders who urged more time for negotiations.

“Dialogue does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian wrote in a post on X on Monday, adding that the Islamic Republic would enter talks with “dignity” and “authority” while safeguarding national interests and honor.

He said Iran would continue to serve its people “with logic and with all our might.”

Meanwhile, a senior U.S. official told Axios journalist Barak Ravid on Monday that the White House believes the Iranian regime’s new offer is inadequate and risks the renewal of the war.

“We are really not making a lot of progress. We are at a very serious place today. The pressure is on them to be responsive in the right way,” the senior U.S. official said.

“It’s time for the Iranians to throw a bit of candy out. We need some real, sturdy and granular conversation [regarding the nuclear program]. If that’s not gonna happen, we will have a conversation through bombs, which will be a shame.”

Two U.S. officials said Trump is expected to meet with his top national security team in the Situation Room on Tuesday to review military options.

Trump in a Monday press conference provided more details on his earlier Truth Social post announcing that a planned military strike for Tuesday had been delayed.

“I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for two or three days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal. And if we can do that where there’s no nuclear weapon going into the hands of Iran, I think and if they’re satisfied, we will be probably satisfied also,” the president told reporters.

“We’ve informed Israel. We’ve informed other people in the Middle East that have been involved with us, and it’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything. We’ve had periods of time where we’ve had, we thought pretty much getting close to making a deal and didn’t work out, but this is a little bit different,” Trump said.

“Now we were ready to go tomorrow very big and not something I wanted to do, but we have no choice because we cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon.”

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Iran Masoud Pezeshkian negotiations

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Netanyahu rips ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Turkey seeks to arrest him and dozens of Israeli officials

Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…

9 hours ago
  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

18 hours ago
  • World News

Female Muslim convert charged with planning massive bomb attack on NY State Capitol

The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

19 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

20 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

21 hours ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

21 hours ago