World News

Teens shoot up San Diego mosque, killing 3

Investigators found anti-Islamic writing inside the BMW where the suspects were later discovered dead.

By Gila Isaacson, JFeed

Three men were shot and killed Monday outside the Islamic Center of San Diego (ICSD) in what authorities are investigating as a hate crime, marking one of the deadliest attacks on a US mosque in recent memory.

The two teenage suspects, identified by law enforcement as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez, both from San Diego, were subsequently found dead in a nearby vehicle from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Police received the first reports of an active shooter at 11:43 a.m. at the mosque, located in the Clairemont neighborhood roughly eight miles north of downtown.

Officers arrived within four minutes to find three men already dead in front of the building.

The victims were a mosque security guard and two staff members of the Al Rashid Weekend School, an Islamic studies and Arabic language school housed within the ICSD complex.

The security guard’s heroism

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl called the security guard’s actions “pivotal” and said he likely prevented greater loss of life.

“At this point, I think it’s fair to say his actions were heroic,” Wahl told reporters. “Undoubtedly, he saved lives today.”

None of the students, teachers, or school staff inside the complex were among the victims, the imam confirmed all were safely evacuated.

Hate crime evidence

Investigators found anti-Islamic writing inside the BMW where the suspects were later discovered dead.

Hate speech had also been inscribed directly on one of the firearms used in the attack, according to multiple law enforcement officials.

One of the suspects left a suicide note at home that contained writings referencing racial pride.

A firearm used in the shooting had been taken from a parent’s home.

The mother of one suspect had called police Monday morning, before the attack, to report her son missing along with her car and her firearms.

She told dispatchers her son appeared suicidal and had left a note.

Officers were already speaking with her when reports of the shooting began coming in, and they immediately responded to the mosque.

“We are actively investigating this as a hate crime,” Chief Wahl said at an evening press conference.

“There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved.”

No officers discharged their weapons during the incident; bomb technicians later cleared the suspects’ vehicle.

Political and community response

President Donald Trump and California Governor Gavin Newsom were both briefed on the shooting.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria pledged that “no resource will be spared” to protect religious institutions, telling the Muslim community: “Hate has no place in this city.”

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called the attack “outrageous and heartbreaking,” noting it occurred on the first day of Dhul Hijjah, a sacred period in the Islamic calendar.

The NYPD announced increased patrols at mosques across New York City.

The Los Angeles Police Department similarly deployed additional officers to mosques and Islamic centers throughout the region.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the shooting as a “horrifying act of violence” and said no one should fear for their safety while attending prayer or school.

The FBI is assisting San Diego police. San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said state prosecutors are also involved.

The ICSD announced it will remain closed until further notice, describing it as “an extremely painful and traumatic day for our congregation, students, staff, and the broader San Diego community.”

The center said counseling resources will be shared in the coming days.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: mosque San Diego Shooting attack

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Netanyahu rips ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Turkey seeks to arrest him and dozens of Israeli officials

Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…

13 hours ago
  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

21 hours ago
  • World News

Female Muslim convert charged with planning massive bomb attack on NY State Capitol

The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

22 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

23 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

1 day ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

1 day ago