World News

ISIS increasingly using suicide vehicles, armed drones in Mosul

ISIS is using “Mad Max-style” suicide vehicles and armed drones to attack advancing forces in Mosul.

Islamic State (ISIS) terrorists were increasingly using “Mad Max-style” suicide vehicles and commercial drones armed with grenades in their defense of the Iraqi city of Mosul, Australia’s defense chief said Wednesday.

Australian Defense Force Chief Mark Binskin likened the vehicles used by the ISIS group against Iraqi government troops to those featured in the George Miller-directed post-apocalyptic movie franchise.

Multiple attacks by explosive vehicles were the group’s first line of defense, Binskin told a Senate committee.

“These could come as just vehicles that are loaded (with explosives), but more likely now in what you would hear termed ‘Mad Max vehicles’ — lots of steel around them, small slits for the drivers to see and they’re predominantly suicide attacks,” Binskin said.

ISIS is also increasing using civilian drones armed with grenades and other small weapons over the urban environment of west Mosul.

The threat was “enough to create havoc and, if you’re in the wrong spot, kill you,” Binskin said.

Binskin said Iraqi troops use a range of tactics against such attacks, but he declined to detail them.

“They are limited in what they can do, but in close-in, urban fighting, they have the range to create problems for the assaulting force,” he explained.

Iraqi forces launched a push to take the western half of Mosul from ISIS last week, and have so far captured the city’s international airport and a sprawling military base next to it as well some neighborhoods from the southern edge.

Iraq declared eastern Mosul “fully liberated” in January, after three months of fierce fighting.

Australia provides fighter jets to the US-led coalition that supports Iraqi troops.

By: AP

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Australia Drone Iraq ISIS Islamic terror Suicide Attack

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Trump hails Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defense pact as ‘big, bold’ step

President Trump lauds Mecca Accords between Islamic powers, linking Saudi Arabia with Pakistan and Turkey.

3 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Kushner, Blair, Mladenov press Netanyahu to accept new Board of Peace Gaza plan

Jared Kushner, Tony Blair, and Nickolay Mladenov meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu, with the aim…

4 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Trump threatens to bomb Oman ‘if they get in the way,’ advises Iran to surrender

Speaking to Fox News, President Trump called on Iran to raise the white flag of…

5 hours ago
  • World News

Challenging Vance, Trump declares denying Iran nukes ‘number one goal’

As memorandum of understanding with Iran nears end, President Trump rebuts recent comments by Vice…

5 hours ago
  • Israel News

Israeli gov’t fears bid to fly in expats en masse could tilt election in left’s favor

The ruling Likud party threatens legal action against organizers of initiative aimed at flying Israelis…

6 hours ago
  • Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

French Jew recounts harrowing antisemitic incident – ‘We feared we would be murdered’

The men eventually managed to escape to their hotel, with members of the crowd pursuing…

7 hours ago