Israel News

Israeli ministry fighting BDS to see budget slashed by over half

The ministry sent a letter of protest over the decision to cut its budget.

By World Israel News Staff

Israel’s ministry of strategic affairs and public diplomacy is fighting for its budgetary life as the ministry of finance plans to cuts its funding by over half, Israel Hayom reports on Sunday.

The paper reports that the finance ministry will shrink the strategic affairs’ budget by 60% over last year. Instead of 96 million shekels it received in 2019, it will receive only 39 million for 2020.

Likud MK Gilad Erdan, who heads the ministry, sent an angry letter to the finance ministry blasting the slashing of his budget. The letter was obtained by Israel Hayom.

“The office of strategic affairs led for the last four years the struggle against the campaign of delegitimization and boycotts against the State of Israel,” he wrote.

“The office succeeded to narrow and to shrink the activities of the boycott organizations and their financing, by means of exposing their terror ties and their anti-Semitic nature.

“Not for nothing delegitimization organizations themselves describe 2019 as one of their toughest years, and blame the office of strategic affairs as the one who stands at the front of the activities against them. The meaning of this budget (39 million shekels for the year 2020) is the cancellation of many activities.”

Erdan said the reduced budget constitutes a “strategic danger” to Israel given the international challenges it faces. It will leave the ministry close to a state of non-function, he wrote.

The minister also emphasized that the Trump peace plan, which allows for the application of Israeli sovereignty over parts of Judea and Samaria, will lead to a counter-reaction on the part of anti-Israel activists and the ministry requires resources to deal with them.

Erdan also referred to the recent decision by the International Criminal Court at the Hague, which is poised to launch a war crimes probe against Israel. Erdan said the ministry required resources to deal with such matters.

Yuval Shany, an expert on international law at the Israel Democracy Institute, told the Associated Press that annexation would “significantly” raise the risk of triggering prosecution at the ICC.

Share
Published by
David Isaac
Tags: BDS Gilad Erdan

Recent Posts

  • Source-WIN

Sa’ar bars 2 Swedish MEPs who accused Israel of genocide, backed sanctions

The two lawmakers were scheduled to enter Israel Sunday night as part of a planned…

56 minutes ago
  • World News

El-Sayed accused of racism, sexism over posts targeting Usha Vance, Trump aide

Republican former Michigan gubernatorial candidate Tudor Dixon said the two posts showed El-Sayed targeting women…

1 hour ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Katz orders forceful IDF response to Gaza kite launches

The devices crossed the Gaza border Friday and Saturday and came down in several Israeli…

2 hours ago
  • World News

Iran weighs invitation to join Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defense pact

Neither the Iranian Foreign Ministry nor any of the three countries that established the alliance…

3 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister meet to ease tensions after airbase strike

The Syrian diplomat claimed that although Turkish officials were present, there was no intention to…

4 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Iranian regime releases video threatening to assassinate Barron Trump

In an overt threat, Iranian state media published a video showing Barron Trump, the son…

4 hours ago