Arab-Israeli Conflict

Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister meet to ease tensions after airbase strike

The Syrian diplomat claimed that although Turkish officials were present, there was no intention to establish a Turkish base there. 

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

Mossad Director Roman Gofman and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani held talks Sunday aimed at preventing further deterioration in relations following Israel’s bombing of the Abu al-Duhur military air base, Axios reported, citing three sources with knowledge of the discussions.

The meeting came after disagreements over Turkish activity at the northern Syrian facility led Israel to take military action last Tuesday.

Israeli aircraft struck the base with at least eight bombs, hitting its hangars and runways. Abu al-Duhur is located roughly 45 miles from Turkey.

Israel said intelligence showed Ankara was preparing to position drones and radar equipment at the installation. Israeli officials warned beforehand that the military would intervene unless activity connected to the anticipated Turkish deployment ended.

Damascus disputed Israel’s assessment during private exchanges involving Syrian, Israeli and U.S. officials. Syrian officials maintained that the government had no plans to provide Turkey with a military foothold at Abu al-Duhur.

Israel ultimately rejected those assurances and bombed the facility in an operation it characterized as a “warning shot.”

The Trump administration has since sought renewed communication among the countries. Envoy Tom Barrack and other senior U.S. officials have pressed Israel, Syria, and Turkey in recent days to return to dialogue.

Al-Shaibani acknowledged in an interview with Axios on Wednesday that Turkish military personnel had been at Abu al-Duhur several days before it was bombed.

He said, however, that the visit involved “ongoing military cooperation in the areas of training and the exchange of expertise.”

There “was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” al-Shaibani said.

He said Damascus had conveyed its position to Israel before the bombing and remained willing to pursue negotiations on de-escalation and a new security arrangement.

“But de-escalation cannot be the responsibility of one side alone. Israel must also reassess its policy towards Syria and recognise that continued military operations and attacks will not deliver long-term security, but will instead increase instability,” al-Shaibani said.

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office declined Axios’ request for comment. Al-Shaibani’s spokesperson did not immediately respond.

Share
Published by
Miriam Metzinger
Tags: Mossad Syria Syria-Israel relations

Recent Posts

  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Katz orders forceful IDF response to Gaza kite launches

The devices crossed the Gaza border Friday and Saturday and came down in several Israeli…

12 minutes ago
  • World News

Iran weighs invitation to join Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defense pact

Neither the Iranian Foreign Ministry nor any of the three countries that established the alliance…

46 minutes ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Iranian regime releases video threatening to assassinate Barron Trump

In an overt threat, Iranian state media published a video showing Barron Trump, the son…

2 hours ago
  • World News

‘Incredible pride’ to be Key West’s first Jewish mayor, Samuel Kaufman says

Key West is the largest city in the Florida Keys, with a permanent population of…

2 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Hasan Piker warns American Jews of consequences for supporting Israel

Antisemitic streamer Hasan Piker said the quiet part aloud when he urged American Jews to…

2 hours ago
  • Analysis & Opinion

The UN on the way to the unknown

Regardless of who succeeds as the new secretary general, the real issue is what the…

2 hours ago