Arab-Israeli Conflict

Netanyahu to continue Gaza war after ceasefire – report

Israeli prime minister reportedly pushing for public declaration vowing war will not end even if hostage deal reached.

By World Israel News Staff

Israel will not agree to permanently end the current war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip as part of a hostage deal with the terror group, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was quoted as saying recently, insisting that the war will resume after a temporary ceasefire.

According to a report last week by Israel’s Channel 12, Netanyahu said at a gathering, which included officials involved in Israel’s efforts to negotiate a ceasefire and hostage deal with Hamas, that Israel will not end its war on the Islamist terror group as part of a deal.

Netanyahu reportedly added that Israel should openly declare that it will resume the war at the conclusion of a possible ceasefire.

“If there is a deal — and I hope there will be,” Netanyahu was quoted as saying, “Israel will return to fighting afterward.”

“There is no point in pretending otherwise because returning to fighting is needed in order to complete the goals of the war. Saying this does not thwart a deal; it encourages a deal.”

A senior Israeli official appeared to confirm the claim Monday, telling Yedioth Aharanoth that Netanyahu said last week that “even if Israel agrees to a deal, it will resume fighting afterward in order to complete the goals of the war.”

According to the Channel 12 report, Israel’s negotiating team expressed concern over Netanyahu’s call for Israel to go on record pledging to resume the war after any ceasefire, fearing it could hamper efforts to reach an agreement.

Hamas has thus far demanded that a hostage deal include a permanent cessation of the war and the withdrawal of IDF forces from the Gaza Strip.

Share
Published by
David Rosenberg
Tags: Benjamin Netanyahu Gaza ceasefire Israeli captives in Gaza

Recent Posts

  • WhatsApp Brief

Enough about Israel: Hochul urges Mamdani to focus on governing New York

New York Governor Kathy Hochul urged Mayor Zohran Mamdani to spend less time attacking Israel…

3 hours ago
  • World News

US plans to bar Mahmoud Abbas from attending UN General Assembly for second year

Abbas has sought Turkey’s assistance in an effort to persuade Washington to reverse the planned…

12 hours ago
  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

13 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

15 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

15 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

15 hours ago