Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iran Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, 3rd from right, and Speaker of the Islamic Parliament of Iran, Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf, 2nd from right, with the Delegation of Iran at the Lake Lucerne Summit at the Buergenstock resort in Obbuergen, near Lucerne, Switzerland, Sunday, June 21, 2026. (Urs Flueeler, Pool Photo via AP)
The Wall Street Journal reported that Israel had placed Araghchi and Ghalibaf on a target list but temporarily removed them while the United States pursued negotiations with Iran.
By Vered Weiss, World Israel News
U.S. officials believed Israel could target two senior Iranian negotiators during ceasefire and peace negotiations with Tehran, prompting Washington to seek regional assistance in warning Iran out of concern that such an operation could jeopardize the diplomatic process, The New York Times reported.
The officials said American concerns focused on Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf during negotiations that began in April.
While U.S. officials acknowledged the two men could have been considered legitimate military targets during the height of the conflict, they believed any attempt to kill them after negotiations were underway would likely end the talks and reignite fighting.
According to The New York Times, some current and former U.S. officials said Washington asked other countries in the region to warn Iran about the possibility that Israel could target the two officials.
The report said Israel concentrated early in the conflict on senior Iranian leaders, while U.S. military operations focused on Iran’s navy and missile forces.
Ali Larijani, Iran’s top national security official, and former Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazi were killed in Israeli airstrikes while participating in negotiations with the United States.
The Wall Street Journal previously reported in March that Israel had placed Araghchi and Ghalibaf on a target list but temporarily removed them while the United States pursued negotiations with Iran.
The report said Iran adopted additional security measures during the talks.
Before an April meeting in Islamabad with Vice President JD Vance, Iranian officials sought assurances through Pakistani and Qatari intermediaries that Israel would not target the delegation.
Pakistani fighter jets escorted the Iranian aircraft to and from Islamabad, and on the return journey, the delegation diverted to Mashhad before traveling approximately eight hours overland to Tehran after receiving what Iranian officials described as intelligence of a possible Israeli threat.
Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…
Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'
The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'
The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…
After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…
Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…