World News

Russia: Bombing ISIS from Iran not violation of sanctions

After coming under criticism from the US State Department for its possible violation of certain sanctions against Iran after it used the Islamic Republic’s territory to launch strikes in Syria, Russia denied any wrongdoing.

Russia maintains it has not breached international sanctions on Iran when it launched airstrikes on the Islamic State (ISIS) in Syria taking off from a base in Iran.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Wednesday rejected accusations by US State Department spokesman Mark Toner, who said Russia’s operation out of Iran could constitute a violation of a United Nations (UN) resolution that prohibits the supply, sale and transfer of combat aircraft to Iran, unless approved by the UN Security Council (UNSC).

“There has been no supply, sale or transfer of combat jets to Iran,” Lavrov stated, insisting that the Russian Air Force in Iran is only using its facilities and nothing more.

Lavrov told the US not to “nitpick about what is happening in terms of the remaining restrictions on trade and ties with Iran.”

On Tuesday, the Russian Defense Ministry announced Russian warplanes have launched a new wave of airstrikes on ISIS in Syria.

The ministry revealed the warplanes took off from a base southwest of the Iranian capital, Tehran, to strike targets in the east of Syria.

Iran enabled Russian warplanes to take off from its territory to bomb targets in Syria, for the first time since Russia launched its operation in Syria last year and the first time Russia used the territory of another Middle Eastern country for its operations inside Syria in support of President Bashar Assad.

It is unheard of in history for Iran to allow a foreign power to use one of its bases to stage attacks, emphasizing the deep cooperation between the two countries most heavily invested in the Syrian civil war.

By: World Israel News Staff
AP contributed to this report.

Share
Published by
Aryeh Savir
Tags: Iran ISIS Russia Syria Syrian Civil War

Recent Posts

  • Source-WIN

Trump teases possible endorsement in Israel’s October election

President Trump says it would be best if he stayed out of the upcoming Israeli…

7 minutes ago
  • World News

Iranian official: Claims of ongoing negotiations are ‘delusional’

The US-Iran MoU expired Monday as Tehran rejected reports of efforts to extend the agreement.

1 hour ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Crying on Trump’s shoulder: Erdogan complains about Israel in call with US president

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Donald Trump to pursue diplomacy with Iran while using…

4 hours ago
  • WhatsApp Brief

Kushner’s direct Hamas talks trigger alarm in Palestinian Authority

Palestinian Authority officials are increasingly alarmed after US envoy Jared Kushner met directly with senior…

4 hours ago
  • World News

Media ignores Palestine convoy stranded by Iraq, unconcerned since Israel not involved

The presence of an Israeli angle can determine whether the difficulties faced by activists become…

11 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Kushner says Iran not interested in a sensible deal

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner gave an update on ongoing negotiations with the Iranian regime, noting…

11 hours ago