World News

Spain blocks US from sending military aid to Israel via its bases

After imposing an arms embargo on Israel, Spain bars US military shipments via its air bases, ports and airspace.

By World Israel News Staff

The Spanish government has banned the United States from shipping military aid to Israel through American bases in Spain, naval ports used by the U.S. Navy, and Spanish airspace, according to a local media report.

Earlier this month, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez announced sanctions on Israel, including a total arms embargo.

In addition, the Sánchez government was reportedly considering a more expansive ban on weapons transfers to Israel — a move that would prevent ships carrying weapons to Israel from docking at Spanish ports, or aircraft bearing military equipment destined for Israel from using Spanish air bases.

On Monday, the left-leaning Spanish daily El País reported that Madrid has indeed imposed such restrictions on American military transports.

Citing officials familiar with security coordination between the Spanish and American militaries, the report said Spain has invoked the terms of the 1988 defense agreement that granted the U.S. military access to Spanish air bases and naval ports.

Under the 1988 agreement, Madrid reserves the right to impose “certain limitations” on American use of its bases. One clause gives Spain a veto over the transfer of “controversial” passengers or cargo through Spanish bases and ports.

The United States and Spain jointly operate the Rota Naval Station in Cádiz on the Atlantic coast, and the U.S. Air Force shares the Morón Air Base near Seville with the Spanish Air Force.

“These bases are under Spanish sovereignty, and everything that passes through them requires authorization from the authorities,” the officials told El País. “Rota and Morón are not a sieve.”

According to the report, Spain quietly imposed the ban on weapons transfers through its territory as early as March. A delivery of six American-made F-35 stealth fighter jets to Israel was routed through the Portuguese Azores, the report noted, rather than through Morón.

Share
Published by
David Rosenberg
Tags: arms embargo Pedro Sánchez Spain

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Trump hails Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defense pact as ‘big, bold’ step

President Trump lauds Mecca Accords between Islamic powers, linking Saudi Arabia with Pakistan and Turkey.

5 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Kushner, Blair, Mladenov press Netanyahu to accept new Board of Peace Gaza plan

Jared Kushner, Tony Blair, and Nickolay Mladenov meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu, with the aim…

6 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Trump threatens to bomb Oman ‘if they get in the way,’ advises Iran to surrender

Speaking to Fox News, President Trump called on Iran to raise the white flag of…

7 hours ago
  • World News

Challenging Vance, Trump declares denying Iran nukes ‘number one goal’

As memorandum of understanding with Iran nears end, President Trump rebuts recent comments by Vice…

7 hours ago
  • Israel News

Israeli gov’t fears bid to fly in expats en masse could tilt election in left’s favor

The ruling Likud party threatens legal action against organizers of initiative aimed at flying Israelis…

8 hours ago
  • Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

French Jew recounts harrowing antisemitic incident – ‘We feared we would be murdered’

The men eventually managed to escape to their hotel, with members of the crowd pursuing…

9 hours ago