Jewish Diaspora & Antisemitism

Two men on trial in UK over alleged plot against Jewish community

Two assault rifles, an automatic pistol, and ammunition were to be smuggled into Britain.

By Reuters and Algemeiner

Two men plotted an Islamic State-inspired attack on the Jewish community in northwest England with the aim of “killing hundreds of innocent people,” British prosecutors said on Wednesday at the start of their trial.

Walid Saadaoui, 38, and Amar Hussein, 52, are charged with preparing terrorist acts, while Walid Saadaoui’s brother Bilel Saadaoui, 36, is charged with failing to disclose information about acts of terrorism.

All three have pleaded not guilty and are on trial at Preston Crown Court.

Judge Mark Wall told jurors that the case had nothing to do with last week’s deadly attack on a synagogue in Manchester and the timing of the trial was coincidental.

Prosecutors say Walid Saadaoui and Hussein had “embraced the views of the so-called Islamic State (and) were prepared to risk their own lives” in order to become martyrs.

DEFENDANTS PLANNING ‘UNTOLD HARM’ SAYS PROSECUTOR

Walid Saadaoui had arranged for two assault rifles, an automatic pistol and ammunition to be smuggled into Britain, with a further three weapons and more ammunition to be delivered, when he was arrested in May 2024, prosecutor Harpreet Sandhu said.

Sandhu said the assault rifles were similar to those used in a 2015 attack in Paris which killed 130 people, and were “capable of causing untold harm.”

“Untold harm was precisely what Walid Saadaoui had planned to cause, together with the defendant Amar Hussein,” Sandhu said, before he was interrupted by Hussein shouting from the dock: “How many babies?”

Sandhu said that Walid Saadaoui and Hussein’s plan was to “identify a mass gathering of Jewish people whom they could attack,” with a third man they thought was called “Farouk.”

“In addition, they intended to kill any law enforcement or police officers who got in their way,” Sandhu said.

He told the jury that Walid Saadaoui and Hussein were arrested because “Farouk,” who they thought “wanted to kill hundreds of innocent people just as they did,” was in fact an undercover operative.

Sandhu said Bilel Saadaoui was not planning to take part in an attack, but “sympathized with the views of the Islamic State” and had been given access to money by his brother Walid to look after his family after his death.

The trial is due to take up to 12 weeks.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: Antisemitism ISIS Terrorism United Kingdom

Recent Posts

  • Middle East

Netanyahu rips ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Turkey seeks to arrest him and dozens of Israeli officials

Netanyahu turns the tables on Erdogan, pointing to his treatment of the Kurds, support for…

21 hours ago
  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

1 day ago
  • World News

Female Muslim convert charged with planning massive bomb attack on NY State Capitol

The suspect posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

1 day ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

1 day ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

1 day ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

1 day ago