World News

US military launches multi-country, kamikaze drone force

In its announcement on Thursday, CENTCOM did not say what other countries, if any, have actually joined the Falcon Strike task force.

By Andrew Bernard, JNS

U.S. Central Command announced on Thursday that it is expanding the scope of its one-way attack drone force to include other countries and new types of drones that operate at sea and underwater.

The new “Task Force Falcon Strike” is the “first-ever multi-domain, multinational attack drone task force,” the Pentagon stated.

It follows Task Force Scorpion Strike’s use of loitering munitions, commonly referred to as kamikaze or one-way drones, against Iran.

“Task Force Falcon Strike will expand on Scorpion Strike’s success given the tremendous innovation happening among our regional allies and partners,” stated Adm. Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander.

“Integrating and deploying our new capabilities together will help us rapidly realize the new possibilities that are on the horizon,” he stated.

Iran has proven adept at using low-cost Shahed drones to inflict damage at long ranges across the region without the complicated and vulnerable infrastructure required to manufacture and launch ballistic missiles.

In response, the United States developed the Low-cost Uncrewed Combat Attack System, a reverse-engineered version of the Shahed.

The LUCAS could play an increasingly important role in the Iran war amid reports that the United States is suffering from a shortage of some types of precision munitions and missile interceptors.

The Trump administration has denied those reports. U.S. President Donald Trump said earlier this month that the United States has “massive amounts” of munitions.

In its announcement on Thursday, CENTCOM did not say what other countries, if any, have actually joined the Falcon Strike task force. (JNS sought comment from the Pentagon.)

“CENTCOM has initiated the process of consulting with and officially inviting regional partners,” CENTCOM stated.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: CENTCOM drones Iran Pentagon

Recent Posts

  • World News

Media ignores Palestine convoy stranded by Iraq, unconcerned since Israel not involved

The presence of an Israeli angle can determine whether the difficulties faced by activists become…

5 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Kushner says Iran not interested in a sensible deal

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner gave an update on ongoing negotiations with the Iranian regime, noting…

5 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Smotrich criticizes Kushner-Hamas talks, encourages continued assassinations of terror leaders

Smotrich has repeatedly advocated Israeli sovereignty over Gaza and the establishment of new Jewish settlements…

6 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Trump reiterates idea to declare Hormuz a US territory, says Iran is in ‘big trouble’

President Trump touted the blockade against Iran, citing the U.S. enabling the flow of millions…

6 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Israel-US agreement on Gaza plan spells out conditions for IDF withdrawal

Israeli officials said the key test will be whether Hamas actually gives up its weapons,…

6 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: IDF arrests two terrorists in northern Samaria raid

IDF forces conducted an operation in Qabatiya, searching approximately 100 buildings and arresting two terrorists…

7 hours ago