World News

Western powers push IAEA resolution on Iran’s nuclear program

Before the bombing, Iran held 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60%, an amount the IAEA says could potentially produce 10 nuclear bombs if further refined.

By JNS

France, Britain, Germany and the United States submitted a draft resolution on Tuesday to the U.N. atomic watchdog’s 35-nation Board of Governors, demanding that Iran provide answers and grant access concerning its bombed nuclear sites and enriched uranium stockpile, according to Reuters.

Diplomats told the news agency the resolution is expected to pass as early as Wednesday. The measure follows a critical International Atomic Energy Agency report on Iran that was circulated to member states last week.

The report detailed that Tehran has yet to grant international inspectors access to nuclear sites struck by Israeli and U.S. forces in June.

“The Agency’s lack of access to this nuclear material in Iran for five months means that its verification … is long overdue,” according to the report.

“It is critical that the Agency is able to verify the inventories of previously declared nuclear material in Iran as soon as possible in order to allay its concerns … regarding the possible diversion of declared nuclear material from peaceful use,” the IAEA report continued.

Under the Non-Proliferation Treaty, Tehran is required to submit detailed information on these facilities “without delay,” but it has yet to comply, blocking IAEA inspectors from resuming visits.

Before the bombing, Iran held 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60%, an amount the IAEA says could potentially produce 10 nuclear bombs if further refined.

In September, Iran and the IAEA agreed to resume nuclear inspections, including at sites struck by the United States and Israel during the 12-day war in June.

But Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the deal would be voided if France, Germany, and the United Kingdom pursued snapback sanctions against Iran at the U.N. Security Council under Resolution 2231, which formalized the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal.

The three countries initiated the sanctions in August, citing Iran’s failure to comply with the deal’s terms, and U.N. nuclear sanctions on Iran were reimposed in late September.

Share
Published by
Yossi Licht
Tags: IAEA Iran Nuclear bomb

Recent Posts

  • World News

US plans to bar Mahmoud Abbas from attending UN General Assembly for second year

Abbas has sought Turkey’s assistance in an effort to persuade Washington to reverse the planned…

29 minutes ago
  • World News

European powers condemn E1 plan, warn of sanctions against Israel

The countries also called on Israel to end settlement expansion in Judea and Samaria.

1 hour ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Ambassador Huckabee praises the resilience of the Israeli people

US Ambassador Mike Huckabee said Israel's thriving economy, booming construction, and unshakable national resolve prove…

3 hours ago
  • World News

Abdul El-Sayed’s secret bookshelf features works from WTC bombing ‘unindicted co-conspirator’ and radical Islamic scholars

The collection of books on El-Sayed's bookshelf reflects his scholarly interest in Islam, including in…

3 hours ago
  • Israel News

IDF marks seven decades of global humanitarian relief efforts

In 1985, roughly 350 IDF reservists, including medical, search and rescue, and engineering teams, were…

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: ‘We prepared 5,000 graves for US invaders,’ says Iranian cemetery official

Tehran public cemetery director Mohammad-Javad Tajik stated that the regime dug 5,000 graves in the…

4 hours ago