World News

Weekend shootings in South Africa, 19 dead

In two separate incidents, a total of 19 people were killed; others were wounded.

By Associated Press

A mass shooting at a tavern in Johannesburg’s Soweto township has killed 15 people and left others in critical condition, according to police.

Police say they are investigating reports that a group of men arrived in a minibus taxi and opened fire on some of the patrons at the bar shortly after midnight Sunday.

Those injured have been taken to Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital.

The number of cartridges found on the scene indicates that a group of people opened fire in the bar, said Gauteng province police commissioner Lt. Gen. Elias Mawela.

“The primary investigation suggests that these people were enjoying themselves here, in a licensed tavern operating within the right hours,” Mawela told The Associated Press.

“All of a sudden they heard some gunshots, that is when people tried to run out of the tavern. We don’t have the full details at the moment of what is the motive and why they were targeting these people,” he said.

“You can see that a high-caliber firearm was used and it was shooting randomly. You can see that every one of those people was struggling to get out of the tavern,” Mawela told The Associated Press.

The area where the shooting took place was very dark, making it harder to find people who could identify the suspects, he said.

Rifles and a 9 mm pistol were used in the attack, said national police spokeswoman Col. Dimakatso Sello.

In a separate incident, four people were shot dead by unknown gunmen at a tavern in Sweetwaters township in the coastal city of Pietermaritzburg on Saturday night.

According to police, two men entered the tavern and randomly opened fire on the patrons, killing two people on the scene while two others were confirmed dead at the hospital. Eight others are receiving treatment in a hospital. The deceased were aged between 30 and 45 and police are investigating charges of murder and attempted murder, police said.

“The team will be working around the clock to track down and bring to book those responsible for this shooting”, said Kwazulu-Natal police commissioner Gen. Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi.

Share
Published by
Zevi Pilzer
Tags: Johannesburg Mass shooting Shooting attack South Africa

Recent Posts

  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

IDF carried out secret withdrawal from parts of Gaza – report

Despite claims by Israeli leaders to the contrary, the IDF has reportedly withdrawn from large…

1 hour ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Kushner warns Hamas: US will allow Israel to ‘finish the job’ if disarmament fails

Jared Kushner says progress in Gaza disarmament could start in as little as one to…

2 hours ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s oil exports down to ‘zero barrels,’ says US Energy Secretary

Top Trump administration official says US is able to get 8-9 million barrels of oil…

3 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside an Israeli student’s fight against campus antisemitism

Bar Harel, an Israeli PhD student who was studying in Portugal, endured severe antisemitic abuse…

3 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Trump: Israel should stop bombing Gaza

Hamas celebrates after President Trump declares that given Board of Peace efforts to move forward…

4 hours ago
  • World News

El-Sayed: ‘Rashida Tlaib is like my sister’

El-Sayed previously appeared at a Democratic Socialists of America event alongside Tlaib, headlining a fundraiser…

4 hours ago