Israel News

IAF strikes Lebanon after rocket attacks cause massive fire in northern Israel

Former IDF chief Gen. Amos Yadlin told Radio103 FM that the incident underscored the seriousness of the internal chaos currently sweeping Lebanon and that the IDF’s highest priority should be proving that Israel will always respond forcefully to incidents like that.

By Lauren Marcus, World Israel News

The Israeli Air Force struck targets in Lebanon in the early hours of Thursday morning, almost a day after three rockets were fired from Lebanese territory towards Israel.

According to an IAF statement, Israeli jets struck the sites from which the rockets had been launched, along with a previous launch site.

Thursday’s strike marked the first time Israeli fighter jets have carried out attacks in southern Lebanon since 2014.

While no group has officially taken responsibility for the launches, it’s believed that a Palestinian terror group based in Lebanon is behind the attack.

Such groups have launched more than 12 rockets towards Israeli territory since May 2021.

“Not only is rocket fire from Lebanon at Israeli civilians an act of terrorism, it also is indicative of the Lebanese government’s lack of governance of terrorist organizations operating in Lebanon,” read a statement on Twitter from the IDF.

“The Lebanese government is responsible for all attacks from Lebanon.”

Rocket sirens wailed in northern Israel on Wednesday in the municipalities of Kiryat Shemona, Tel Hai, and Kfar Giladi.

Two of the rockets landed in Israeli territory, with one sparking a massive fire outside of Kiryat Shemona that destroyed swathes of farmland belonging to Moshav Misgav Am.

No casualties were reported.

Former IDF chief Gen. Amos Yadlin told Radio103 FM that the incident underscored the seriousness of the internal chaos currently sweeping Lebanon.

Because Lebanon does not have a government at the moment, Yadlin said, it is difficult for international actors to demand accountability for the rocket launches.

“The Americans and the French would [normally] be the ones to stop Lebanon, but not only does the Lebanese state get a pass because it basically does not exist, Hezbollah also gets a pass. This approach is very problematic…

“What if the rocket hit Kiryat Shemona? Instead of hitting a field of thorns, what if it hit a nearby shopping center and, God forbid, we had five killed?”

Yadlin said that the IDF’s highest priority should be proving that Israel will always respond forcefully to incidents like that.

“The next step is to warn Hezbollah and explain to them that they have a lot to lose, and to renew the deterrence in southern Lebanon,” he added.

Share
Published by
Lauren Marcus
Tags: IAF IAF airstrike Israel Lebanon Israel-Lebanon border Lebanon

Recent Posts

  • World News

Pentagon spokesperson denies munitions shortage following Iran operations

Parnell: 'America’s military remains the most powerful fighting force on earth.'

7 hours ago
  • World News

Albany Woman charged with plotting ISIS bomb attack on New York State Capitol

Bowie posted anti-American messages online, including 'Praise be to Allah for September 11th.'

8 hours ago
  • Arab-Israeli Conflict

Father of 2022 Tel Aviv terrorist killed after attempted stabbing of Israeli soldier in Jenin

The IDF said Central Command and the Judea and Samaria Division are carrying out a…

9 hours ago
  • Videos

WATCH: Inside the 44 year search for fallen IDF soldier Yehuda Katz

After 44 years of uncertainty, a covert intelligence operation in Syria recovered his remains, closing…

10 hours ago
  • Middle East

Iran’s leaders fear another uprising and the return of the ‘Suppression Sheikh’ proves it

Even as the Islamic Republic fights an external war, its leadership appears to be preparing…

10 hours ago
  • World News

As High Holidays approach, Israeli envoy to United Nations in New York City optimistic in dark times

Danon has heard other diplomats express appreciation for Israel’s 'boldness to stand up,' in particular…

10 hours ago