Report: Saudi Arabia forced suspension of Project Freedom

Saudi Arabia reportedly blocked U.S. access to its airspace, forcing Washington to abandon a major rescue mission in the Strait of Hormuz.

By World Israel News Staff

Saudi Arabia’s refusal to allow the United States to use its airspace for Project Freedom — a rescue mission aimed at helping ships stranded in the Strait of Hormuz for nearly two months safely exit the area — was the reason the operation was abruptly called off, according to a report.

Two senior U.S. officials told NBC News on Wednesday that the sudden end of the operation, which was only publicly announced on Sunday, came after Riyadh blocked an American plan to use Saudi airspace to coordinate military activity tied to the mission.

Without the ability to navigate through Saudi airspace, particularly along the Persian Gulf coastline, the United States was unable to continue its efforts to escort or assist stranded vessels.

“Because of geography, you need cooperation from regional partners to use their airspace along their borders,” an American official, speaking anonymously, told NBC News.

Riyadh’s refusal, according to the NBC report, may have been motivated by frustration over how the operation was announced.

An official told the outlet that Saudi Arabia had not been warned in advance about the initiative and that senior officials were “angered” by the surprise announcement from President Donald Trump.

Read  No way in, no way out: US prepares unprecedented economic squeeze on Iran

A phone call between Trump and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman “did not resolve the issue,” officials confirmed to NBC News.

A Saudi source speaking to NBC appeared to downplay the potential rift between Washington and Riyadh, insisting that the two leaders had been in contact “regularly” in recent days.

Additionally, the Saudi official stressed that Riyadh remains “very supportive of the diplomatic efforts” by Pakistan to broker a long-term ceasefire between the United States and Iran.

Following the outbreak of Operation Epic Fury in late February, Iran launched attacks on neighboring countries, including Saudi Arabia, claiming it was justified because those nations host American military bases.

In addition to being caught off guard by the announcement of Project Freedom, Saudi Arabia may have denied permission for the U.S. to use its airspace out of fear of Iranian retaliation.

>