By order of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Tehran has begun rolling back some of its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal.
By World Israel News Staff
After previously warning that it would take such action, Iran announced Wednesday that it had started to “roll back” from some of its commitments in the 2015 nuclear deal reached between Tehran and six world powers, including the United States under the Obama administration.
President Donald Trump announced Washington’s withdrawal from the deal last May and has reimposed sanctions on Iran.
“By order of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Tehran has begun rolling back some of its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA),” reports the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA).
“Stopping programs related to compliance with the ceiling for production of enriched uranium as well as the unlimited production of heavy water at the Arak facility are programs seriously pursued as stressed during the first 60-day period related to Iran’s first step in response to the U.S. withdrawal from the nuclear deal,” an Iranian official said, according to the news agency.
Tehran earlier threatened to resume higher enrichment in 60 days beyond the 3.67% permitted by the current deal if no new nuclear pact is put in place.
Iranian officials have said that they could reach 20% enrichment within four days. Though Iran maintains its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, scientists say the time needed to reach the 90% threshold for weapons-grade uranium is halved once uranium is enriched to around 20%.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said late Tuesday, according to state media, that it would not be difficult for the Islamic Republic to enrich uranium to weapons-grade levels.
“Achieving 20% enrichment is the most difficult part,” Khamenei said, according to the state-run IRAN newspaper. “The next steps are easier than this step.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.