Two-hundred Iranian missiles destroyed in a strike on a Syrian base were reportedly to be used against Israel.
By: World Israel News Staff
A strike carried out on a Syrian base near Hama on Sunday night hit a storage facility and destroyed 200 missiles, according to an official “from a regional alliance that includes Iran, Syria and Hezbollah,” quoted by the New York Times.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that the attacked base belongs to the 47th Brigade and is controlled by Iranian and Assad regime forces in the southern countryside of Hama.
The target of the attack was depots of ground-to-ground missiles belonging to the Iranian militiamen, the report said.
SOHR documented the deaths of at least 26 members, including four Syrian soldiers; the rest are “of Arab and Asian nationalities,” the greatest portion of whom are Iranian. The number of casualties is expected to increase with more than 60 injured and missing people, some seriously wounded.
Media outlets affiliated with the Syrian opposition claim that 38 government soldiers were killed in the strike, with an additional 57 wounded.
Ha’aretz quoted a report from a Syrian newspaper that attributed the attack to the US and Britain. Russia’s RT Arabic said the strike was carried out by US and UK forces based in Jordan, which fired nine ballistic missiles at the Syrian positions.
Israel’s Channel 20 estimated that the destroyed Iranian missiles were to be used in an attack on the Jewish state, carried out in retaliation for an Israel Air Force attack on an Iranian drone at the T4 base in Syria earlier this month.