IDF: Gaza church strike that killed three was accidental

Initial findings suggest that a shell fired during operations in Gaza City unintentionally struck the church compound.

By Vered Weiss, World Israel News

The Israeli military said a preliminary investigation found that the shelling of Gaza’s Holy Family Church, which killed three civilians, was unintentional and the result of shrapnel from a military operation nearby.

The strike occurred on Thursday at the only Catholic church in the Gaza Strip, operated by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The compound had been sheltering dozens of civilians, including children with disabilities. Two women were killed instantly, and a third person later died from injuries. The parish priest, Fr. Gabriel Romanelli, was also wounded.

According to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), initial findings suggest a shell fired during operations in Gaza City unintentionally struck the church compound. “An initial investigation into reports of individuals injured at the Holy Family Church in Gaza City suggests that shrapnel from a shell fired during activity in the area mistakenly hit the church,” the IDF said. “The cause of the incident is under investigation.”

The military emphasized that it targets only military objectives and aims to avoid civilian and religious casualties. “The IDF directs its attacks only at military targets and makes every possible effort to mitigate harm to civilians and religious structures,” the statement said.

Read  Iranian FM admits Israel, US had highly accurate intel on Iran's senior officials

Photos shared by church officials showed significant damage, including a large hole in the church’s roof near its main stone cross. The international response was swift. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called the strike “unacceptable,” and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani described it as “a serious act against a Christian place of worship.” Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, said, “We need to understand what happened, what should be done, especially to protect our people.”

The Israeli government expressed regret. The Foreign Ministry stated, “Israel never targets churches or religious sites and regrets any harm to a religious site or to uninvolved civilians.” The Prime Minister’s Office added, “Every innocent life lost is a tragedy. We share the grief of the families and the faithful.”

The IDF said its investigation is ongoing and that full findings will be released once the review is complete.

>