Palestinian brutalizes Israeli girlfriend’s baby; 11-month-old dies of injuries

The 11-month-old died of serious head injuries less than two days after being rushed to the hospital.

By Batya Jerenberg, World Israel News

A baby who suffered severe head injuries Monday after being abused by her mother’s Palestinian boyfriend, died Wednesday in Soroka Hospital in Beer Sheva.

“It is with great regret that we announce the death of the baby from Ashkelon due to the injury which left her in a critical condition, despite the efforts of our medical team,” the hospital statement said. “We share in the family’s terrible grief.”

The baby had been rushed to the hospital with two skull fractures and brain damage, and underwent an operation from which she could not recover.

The boyfriend, Ziad Al-Avid, was allegedly angry that the mother had left the 11-month old girl in his care so that she could go to a party, and took out his frustrations on the child, whom he had cared for before.

According to his lawyer, Yossi Dega, the 22-year-old Palestinian was “in a terrible emotional state but is cooperating with investigators,” and had “no intention of harming the baby.”

Dega pointed out that his client, who was in Israel illegally, had not abandoned the baby when she lost consciousness due to her injuries, but rather had “made sure she received medical treatment” by calling the mother and asking the neighbors for help.

He ran away once the emergency medical teams arrived, however, and was arrested later in the day, as was the child’s mother. The police suspect that she may have abused the baby herself on other occasions.

After being informed of her baby’s death, the 22-year-old mother asked to say goodbye to her daughter. The Prison Service initially denied her request, but her attorney turned to the courts, who ordered that she be allowed this gesture. Prison officials then accompanied her to the forensic institute where the body had been taken.

The court remanded the mother on Tuesday for three days, while the alleged killer was remanded a further five days.