‘Just the beginning’ – Thousands rally for hostage deal, ending war August 17, 2025 Protesters block a road in Tel Aviv during a protest calling for the release of the Israeli hostages held by Hamas in Gaza, August 17, 2025. (Flash90/Erik Marmor)(Flash90/Erik Marmor)‘Just the beginning’ – Thousands rally for hostage deal, ending war Tweet Join Group Join WhatsApp Group Email https://worldisraelnews.com/just-the-beginning-thousands-rally-for-hostage-deal-ending-war/ Email Print Not all bereaved families support the protest, warning that an economic shutdown aids Hamas. By World Israel News Staff Thousands of Israelis took to the streets Sunday morning, blocking major highways, intersections, and thoroughfares in a sweeping day of protest aimed at pressuring the government to end the war in Gaza and secure the release of hostages still held by Hamas. The demonstrations included strikes across various industries as well as protests outside the homes of senior government ministers. “I’m here this morning to ask every Israeli citizen to act today to save lives,” said Reut Recht-Edri, whose son was murdered at the Nova Music Festival, at a Tel Aviv press conference launching the day of action. She urged Israelis “to stop everything, to leave home and to fight for the return of all the hostages, for saving the soldiers, for our state of Israel.” Lishay Miran Lavi, whose husband has been held captive in Gaza for nearly two years, said that “today is just the beginning.” “We intend to escalate the struggle. We have no other choice,” Lavi added. The mass protest was declared last week by a forum representing families of hostages and fallen soldiers. Their announcement came after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the IDF would “conquer” Gaza City, following the collapse of ceasefire negotiations with Hamas. But not all families directly impacted by the Oct. 7 massacres support the protests. Iris Haim, the mother of a hostage who was mistakenly shot dead by IDF troops, spoke out against the strike. “Shutting down the economy, when life is already far from normal, is in my opinion a mistake,” she said in a statement. “Hamas is watching and learning. They see that they are succeeding in shutting down Israel’s economy. How convenient for them that we are doing this for them.” Haim added that “this strike will achieve nothing except a fleeting sense of having acted. It will deepen divisions and push the country toward chaos. The next step is anarchy, from which there will be no return.” Her concerns were echoed by Kobi Samerano, whose son was murdered on October 7th and whose body was kidnapped by a UNRWA employee. “The strike… will not, in any way, help to return the hostages. It will only alienate the public, create antagonism and bring more violence to the streets,” he warned. families of hostagesGaza hostageshostage familieshostage protestsProtest