The US Justice Department is filing charges against the Israeli-American suspect behind the JCC bomb threats, raising questions regarding his possible extradition from Israel to the US.
The US Justice Department said on Friday that it was filing charges against the suspect behind the wave of bomb threats against Jewish Community Centers across the United States earlier this year, for falsifying information to the police and for cyberstalking.
“Today’s charges into these violent threats to Jewish Community Centers and others represent this department’s commitment to fighting all forms of violent crime,” stated US Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
“These threats of violence instilled terror in Jewish and other communities across this country and our investigation into these acts as possible hate crimes continues.”
As Israeli police had arrested the suspect several weeks ago, US charges are expected to raise questions in Israel regarding the possible extradition of the 18-year-old suspect, who has citizenship in both Israel and the US. The Anti-Defamation League, an organization largely concentrated on combating anti-Semitism, has expressed support for the suspect’s extradition to the United States.
“While we have the utmost respect for Israel’s law enforcement authorities and its criminal justice system, we think it is entirely appropriate for the alleged perpetrator to face criminal charges in the United States,” said the ADL’s CEO Jonathan Greenblatt.
“The serious disruption of lives and services happened here in the United States; the alleged perpetrator should face charges here,” he added.
“We urge the Israeli government to work cooperatively with the Justice Department in the investigation and, if the investigation warrants, to support an American extradition request and work in partnership to ensure a successful prosecution in the US.”
By: World Israel News Staff