Turkey detains 5 ISIS suspects linked to nightclub attack

Turkish forces are still searching for the ISIS terrorist and accomplices responsible for the murder of 39 people in Istanbul on New Year’s.

Turkish police on Wednesday detained at least five suspected Islamic State (ISIS)  group terrorists believed to be linked to the deadly Istanbul nightclub attack, the state-run news agency reported.

The police operation was launched in the Aegean port city of Izmir and is ongoing, Anadolu Agency said.

The terrorist, who killed 39 people during New Year’s celebrations, hasn’t been publicly named and is still at large. Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, however, said authorities have identified him; he provided no further details.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, which also wounded nearly 70 people. Most of those killed were foreigners from the Middle East, including an Israeli woman, Lian Zaher.

The private Dogan news agency said the police operation targeted three families who had arrived in Izmir about 20 days ago from Konya — a city in central Turkey where the terrorist is thought to have been based before carrying out the attack. It said 27 people, including women and children, were taken into custody.

At least 14 people were previously detained in connection with the attack, including two foreigners stopped Tuesday at the international terminal of Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport after police checked their cellphones and luggage, according to Anadolu.

By: AP